Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I'm at an impasse. For NY vehicle inspection I must have a mechanical parking brake to be road legal, which unfortunately means no line-lock. Several months ago I was considering Eldorado calipers with the integrated parking brake, but the experiences on PBB seem to be far from stellar. So back to a transfer case mounted disc brake.

Parts Mike and HAD only make parking brake kits to fit the Advance Adapters 32sp output for the Dana300. Parts Mike's is $359 including the 1350 flange, and HAD is $395 plus ~$100 for the flange (1350 or Toyota pattern). Both are $$ but I would lean towards Parts Mike. Driveshafts will have to be lengthened/shortened either way.

This morning I again tossed around the idea of the Eldo calipers just for inspection purposes, but still plumb in a lock lock. But that's probably at least $300+ that I would never rely on, and I'd be no better off financially than if I stuck with the transfer case brake.

Now is road legal all that important? If this is the direction I go, I'd use a line-lock.

The truck is being built for trail duty, and will be a trailer queen as the closest wheeling is 4.5 hrs away. "Local" wheeling is all at private property or parks, where road driving isn't needed. The only thing that's really making me lean towards a state inspection (and a license plate) is my return trip to Moab when the 40 is done. Having to possibly trailer it to the different trails is not an exciting thought. Utah's OVH stickers... do these make up for a non-registered vehicle so it can drive "legally" on the roads?

Any other thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Chris, I would not worry about safety inspection in NY. They will be so busy looking at your rig, that they will just slap the sticker on your windshield. Just Let the guy (performing the inspection) drive your 40 ;}

D.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I ordered this caliper a few years ago model 7211, was even cheaper back then. found an 8" circle of 1/4" steel at a local fab shop (beadlock leftovers) drilled my pattern and built a mount on my d300 and is cable actuated, no driveshaft mods at all for that rig and it was mounted on a 1310 yoke would be even easier with a flange, my only advise is to get beefier return springs, otherwise it constantly rubs/rattles and wheres out quickly

MB-3 Caliper

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I've never been to Moab, but from what I hear they're fairly strict on street-legal vehicles only. Not many places cut you slack, the only one I know of off the top of my head is Harlan, KY.

I haven't gotten out near as much as i'd like, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts