Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should protect my $175.00 parking permit when I have the top off of my Jeep?

I thought about forming a small box and tig welding it up, but I don't know how I would securely fix it to the vehicle without using something retarted like a cable or chain.

I thought about possibly using epoxy, but it expires in August, at which point I would need to epoxy a new parking pass.

The permit is made of plastic and is intended to hang from the rear view mirror. It's dimensions are about 3"x5".

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I've complained about this very same thing. My parks district told me that because my name is file they will re-issue me one if it gets stolen. The hardest part is remembering to take it out the windshield so it doesn't blow away. I kind of like the idea above?

·
Registered
67 Posts
most places that issue permits (Virginia Tech in my case) have a type for convertibles that is usually in sticker form. Call the issuer of the permit and ask for a convertible form, some people forget that jeeps can go topless.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'll give IUPUI a call on Monday and see what they say. I think a sticker would be my best bet. I know they have stickers for the motorcycles, but I'll be surprised if they have them for convertibles. I know that I would get towed if I made a copy because IUPUI parking services are a bunch of bastards who would assume that I made a copy of someone else's permit. I'll give them a call on Monday, if they don't have anything then I'll probably go with currupt4130's idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
At my old university, I only drove my Jeep to campus a couple weeks a year, and I had a hang-tag for my other vehicles. When I talked to parking services about this same dilemma, they would write me a two-week temporary pass (paper hang-tag) that I just taped to the inside of my window. It had my license plate written on it, so it wouldn't be of much use to someone if they swiped it, and I never had a problem. They told me that if someone did swipe it, to just come back in and they'd write me another one. This was done no-charge, and was the same thing that they would do if you had bought a sticker, and then had to drive something else temporarily. Good luck.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, thanks for the idea muddy_jeep_guy. I'll talk to parking services, but I don't think a temp pass will work b/c once it gets nicer I will be driving it through all of the summer semester into the fall semester. I hope they have a sticker that I can expoxy to the windshield. If not I will try wilson's idea by expoying the permit to a lock, then attaching the lock to the mirror stem.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I took a piece of 20 gauge steel and cut it to fit the hang tag... then used gorilla glue to stick the tag too it... then I punched 2 holes where the slit that allows to to slip of the rear view is and used a metal ehaust "zip tie" to hold it on...It was never stolen again.

·
Premium Member
14,734 Posts
I used a sticker one just exchange your hanging one.

Or just keep your hanging one locked, and if you get a ticket (not sure how stict they are) present it and say it blew into floor since you have an open vehicle. If this happens daily obviously it wont work but I normaly never even put mine up heh..

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Have not had mine stolen yet but then again I hardly put mine in the window and for the past 2 years have not had any issues at all.

But Schomozilla has a great idea. He should get it down to lookin good and market that. Little things like that sell.

Maybe instead of glue you use a little hing to fold a piece of metel with plexy glass in it over the pass and latch to a piece that locks it to your mirror or whatever you hang it off. It would take a lot of work to get the pass (Possibly destroying the pass) and people would notice the activity.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like wilsons idea, combind with plexiglassing it

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, my first idea was similar to schomzilla's, but I just found out that IUPUI offers sticker passes. I think they're simply window cling, so I don't know how well that will hold up, but I guess I'll find out.

IUPUI parking services are a bunch of wanna be security guards whom drive around in their prius' and look at damn near every car on campus. If you don't have your permit you get towed, no questions asked.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Those window cling stickers should do the job. Is theft a big problem? At MU, unless you left cash in plain sight with the window's down/doors off, noone would mess with your car. I don't know of anyone that got a parking pass stolen on campus. But like I said that was a different school.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts