Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to seal off the dipstick tube on my TH400 with the newer-style locking dipstick. A couple questions:

* Did Chevy ever install that locking-handle style dipstick on the TH400's? My local tranny parts-supply place only carries the slip-in style for the 400's, but the locking-style for the TH700R4.

* Does the locking-handle style dipstick work with the original tube, or does it require a special tube as well?

* Anyone have a part-number handy for a TH400 locking-handle dipstick and/or tube? There are no decent parts-counters at dealers in these parts, and GM Parts Direct works best if you already have the number handy.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thinking, you're probably right; I've got a spare one of those in the garage I can measure up to check for interchange.

·
Registered
485 Posts
what i did for mine was to get the locking dipstick from a 700 and i cut it to the same legnth as the one for the 400 and marked it with an engraving tool. i know it's not factory but it works just the same.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
84k5bd said:
what i did for mine was to get the locking dipstick from a 700 and i cut it to the same legnth as the one for the 400 and marked it with an engraving tool. i know it's not factory but it works just the same.
Hey, I think I bought this TH400 from YOU and your brother! :)

I'm finally getting it all in there, so this is one of those unending little details that I'm wrapping up.

Making a 700 dipstick work is probably just as good. Now I've just got to find one.

·
Registered
485 Posts
that was a while ago, are you almost ready to start driving it? btw i got my stick out of a late model van.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes; ignition, fuel and wiring to the engine, lines to the brakes and driveshafts are all that's left.

Oh, and about a billion other little things that I'll forget until the last moment... :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
GM did make a locking dipstick for the t400, just order one for a 90-91 truck with a turbo 400 and you will be set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts