Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not the right board, but you guys are my only hope. On my Traveler I am running 2" Skyjacker Springs SOA. The main leaf on these springs keep bending, I have already broken one front spring to do the bending and had it warrantied. Now i noticed that the rear springs are doing the same thing, I know I can put other vehicle springs on it but I do not have the T&M to do it. Does anybody locally have a stock main leafs for the rear that they do not want or sell cheap. Our plan is to double up the main leaf to take some stress off the single main. Is this a common problem and is this how you fix it? We have already done it to the front springs today and it looks like it will work well. So if you are local and have what I need let me know. Thank TT:)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I kept having that problem on my '76 SSII mainly due to bashing the spring shackles on obstacles but none the less the springs are a little weak for abuse on the trail due to the 2" width. The best results I had were putting steel wheels on my shackles to help roll over obstacles and I had a local spring shop build a custom main leaf for my Superlift 4"ers that was stiffer and thicker but still 2" wide.

Still ended up snapping the custom leaf but it did last alot longer. BUT, due to my abusive driving techniques had to finally break down and go to coils and a 4-link. Had to go to Rockwells because I broke the Dana 60 and had to go to 44" tires to get the ground clearance with the Rockwells and had to go to coils because I had to exstend the wheelbase to clear the firewall with the 44's.

Still, I think the best thing you can do for your springs (depending on how much wheeling you do) is a shackle reversal, or putting custom wheels on your front shackles and most importantly have a thicker main leaf made or just put chebby or waggy springs on it.

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
slipscomb said:
Still ended up snapping the custom leaf but it did last alot longer. BUT, due to my abusive driving techniques had to finally break down and go to coils and a 4-link. Had to go to Rockwells because I broke the Dana 60 and had to go to 44" tires to get the ground clearance with the Rockwells and had to go to coils because I had to exstend the wheelbase to clear the firewall with the 44's.
All that because of a bent spring :D :D :D

BTW, what did you do with your shackle wheels???

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
still have them. If you are interested in them it would probably be easier for you to make them rather than paying the shipping. It's simply a 6" disc cut from 3/8 plate with the spring bolt hole drilled in the center. I used a longer bolt and a lock nut so you can leave the disc just loose enough to roll under pressure. Worked very well, though for general trail use and easing up onto obstacles without pushing against the shackles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW!! My problem doesn't sound so bad anymore. Hopefully I've got my front springs licked by adding another main leaf. But my backs, my backs are starting to bend slightly. For now I'm just looking for another main leaf to add to them to take some load off the single leaf.:confused:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
a package that some of the Scouts had on them was the "xlc" edition or the "extra load capacity" Scout. These Scouts had an overload spring in the rear that was literally about a 1/2 in. thick!. I ran these in the rears and never had a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts