Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was wheeling up near Shotgun Creek and when I engaged 4 wheel drive I noticed a loud squeaking sound. Turns out the passenger side axle shaft is rubbing on the inner housing on my front D35 TTB. What would cause the axle shaft to move back and rub? If you need pics I'll go take some... Thanks

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
depends on where it is rubbing. inside the axle housing? probably a bent axle/lift bracket.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres a pic to help show exactly where its rubbing:

None of the axle pivot brackets are bent, cracked, or have any loose bolts holding them in place so I'm figuring that it could be the radius arm bushings?

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
if the bushing are whacked then yes it could do that/ if the bushings are roughly the same thickness on either side of the truck you'd have to have a bent bracket.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
seen it happen a few times. usualy from a bent crossmember, or bracket, or beam.

bad spindle bearings can also cause it.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Happened to me on my d44 ttb, i just notched out the beam and haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Obviously something is no longer straight.. Take it apart & find out why. Since it is a superstiff kit, Id look for broken brackets & replace your stiffer than stock springs while youre down there.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Check the spacers when you check the rad. arm bushings. They can crack or break completely, which will allow your axle to move forward and backward a bit, which could contribute to that problem. Passenger side rad arm bushings and spacers tend to wear sooner than the drivers' side due to being so close to the exhaust...

At least that's what was explained to me by a mechanic when he replaced my passenger side rad. arm spacer that had split in two...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Looking at it again, your pass beam would have to move forward to hit like that right there. It almost has to be the passenger radius arm bushing.. If EVERYTHING checks out ok, shim the arm at the bushing a little bit or notch the beam. Get an alignment if you shim it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I'd read somewhere on Explorerforum that the passenger side wears out faster, I'm guessing thats what the problem is. I'm checked the brackets multiple times now and I havnt found any of them to be bent or cracked. I'll purchase some James Duff bushings and see if that does the trick, if not I'll probably end up grinding that down so I won't have to worry about it. Thanks for all the comments!

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Its VERY common, really many people don't even know thats their rub.
It ain't no thing though.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I would agree, something has let that side move forward (although its also possible the driverside has been pushed back, too). Radius arm bushings would be where to start looking.

Mine rubbed like mad there, but mine was due to articulation (it rubbed at the very top and bottom when flexed). I just ground out the "window" some with a grinder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts