Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a bit of a newbie to the cruizer crowd, and i'm looking for some advice about performance with the 2F. mind you, i've got little $ and would like to keep the 2F. i've got a 78fj40, stock motor, carb, cam etc. The things i've been thinking about are:

1. ignition--whats the best and cheapest option for this? aftermarket dist (ie non-usa, mallory, etc) that is a bolt in for the 2F. MAF wants around $300 for the mallory. what about coils? are those $40 "super coils " any good? jacobs is sweet, but again is it worth it ?(another $300)

2. carb--the stock carb i got has been rebuilt, and seems to run ok, mileage around 12mpg on the road. I've got a weber 32/36 from my mini truck, so all i need is adapters etc., but i'm not sure of the benefits--everyone runs the 38. what about manual vs. electric choke?

3. head--might have to pull the head-think i've got a valve seal that's bad. could get the head milled.

any advice would be appreciated

willy

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I like the Petronix electronic conversion, they are cheap, reliable, and provide plenty of spark for the 6 banger.

We have lots of guys in Lone Star Cruisers ( I am running 2 on a 60 and 45) running the stock carb, so everyone is not running the Weber.......12 mpg is excellent BTW...

If you have to pull the head...... mill it, do a good valve job, throw on a header along with a 2 1/4 " exhaust system, a turbo muffler and enjoy.
Welcome newb:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Butch

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already got headers:flipoff2:

where can i find info on the petronix? is it just a distributor, or a complete ign. system??

·
Registered
836 Posts
12mpg is excellent? Ick.

I get 18 out of my 2F, and that's on the highway going 70 :D

I have a mild cam, head decked .070, HEI, and a rebuilt Asain carb (factory Toyota)

I have a late 77 carb on mine that has a port for vacuum advance, but was originally coupled with a points style distributor...Works great, TONS of power, (I can easily accelerate past 70 on 20* uphills), idles along with great torque...It's awesome.

Oh, and I still have all the smog equipment installed so I can pass the underhood inspection.

On the stock carb vs weber debate, keep in mind that a properly built Asain carb can flow a little more than a Weber 38...The Asain is 38/40, vs the Weber 38/38. If you really want to flow a ton more air, then you might want to look at getting a cam and an Offenhauser 4 barrel intake and whatever your personal carb brand might be.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I gotta agree With Texican on the pertronix module. Best ignition bang for the buck. No more points, or condensors. As for the 32/36 Weber, It may be too small for a 2F, especially if you plan on anything else performance oriented. The Pertronix Conversion, is a tiny module that uses magnetic principals to trigger the spark. It fits completly under the factory cap. It is compatible with all aftermarket ignition boxes as well, ie: Mallory, MSD, Crane and Accel. Depending on the source, prices range from $50-100. Hope this helps.

BTW. WELCOME NEWBIE :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Advent Horizon said:

I get 18 out of my 2F, and that's on the highway going 70 :D
Ya, but what is your mileage heading back up the mountain? :D

About 15 mpg is probably my best mileage. Stock '79 2F, 3.7 diffs, 33" tires. Still need to install the new tank sender.... I just refill it after 150 miles or so.

Hey Guys... '78 should be electronic ignition, not points. Not sure if the pertronix module will help that much. If you have a "smog computer" it needs the rpm signal from the original ignition setup.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Haven't checked on the milage going back up the mountain, but last time I was out riding, it was about 2 days on the trail before I needed to fill up...That was on my old 2f, though, which got about 16 on the road...

If you have the 78 ignition, Tom's right, don't get rid of it. I've heard good things about the pertronix under the factory Toyota electronic ignition cap, and the Toyota distributor starting that year is about the most waterproof you can get. If the vacuum modules still work correctly, don't get rid of that distributor! The HEI's are as waterproof as mesh.

·
Registered
230 Posts
First of all,
Run, Dont walk, away from MAF. Everything they have, you can get somewhere else, for much cheaper. If you get something from them and there is a problem, dont expect ANY customer service, they will shit on you. I have said it before and will say it again.
Fuck MAF :flipoff:

There are lots of other good places to get shit. Spector, JToutfitters, CCOT, TPI.

With that said, The stock carb is about the best fuel setup on a LC other than a EFI. I have a weber 32/36 in my fj60 and makes lots of power, but it runs really rich and bogs out on hills. GO with with a Jim C rebuilt carb or just tune up your stocker.

Distributor, you can go HEI, pertronix, or the 78 distributor is electronic, so no points.

Head- You can make lots of power with head work, but dont mill it too much or you might have to start running higher octane gas to compensate for the higher compression. 91 is $1.80 a gallon here in INDY. :eek:

Bottom line, do alot of research before you buy shit. There are alot of guys here that know what works and what doesnt. Tap their wisdom.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice.. So, I guess i'll keep the dist and carb. That's good--keep the wife happy. The pertronix fits under the stock dist cap, right? where can one find this magical device :eek:

what about timing and such. i tend to notice pinging when going up hill, havent actually checked the timing (on the perpetual to do list) Is the BB set for 7 btdc or for tdc?

thanks again, you'll be hearing from me again

willy

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just checked out the pertronix website and i'm confused. if I already have an electronic ignition, (and I believe that I do--it's a stock 78) is there and point in the pertronix module? All of the applications for the tlc are for the points-type distributor (e-74) according to the site.

willy

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
The best way to get some performance out of your 2f motor??

step 1. Get a big ass chain bolt it to the intake
step 2. Use a lift to pull said chain and attached motor out
step 3. attach large flotation device to chain
step 4. drop entire assembly into the lake

Presto, the perfect boat anchor. :D Now you're boat ain't going no where fast, just like when it was in the cruiser. ;)

:laughing:

Oh come awn, you know I had to do it........:laughing:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
i put a msd box on my 82 fj60 ( ok you got me my buddy thats a wirein wiz did it) anyway went from 12 to 16 mpg on the hwy and yes its all flat but the "power band" over 1500 rpm is a big jump. not the slow and steedy but a big jump up in power... great passing power would put them on anything...

just my 2cts worth

·
Registered
797 Posts
willy78FJ40 said:
what about timing and such. i tend to notice pinging when going up hill, havent actually checked the timing (on the perpetual to do list) Is the BB set for 7 btdc or for tdc?
The BB is 7 deg. btdc. If you look closely, there is a line for tdc. Do you still have the EGR? If not, you may need to have your distributor re-curved to advance correctly without the EGR. For any Cruiser carb or distributor question, I'd recommend asking Jim Chenoweth ([email protected]). He'll recurve your dist for $100.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Zog said:
First of all,
Run, Dont walk, away from MAF. Everything they have, you can get somewhere else, for much cheaper. If you get something from them and there is a problem, dont expect ANY customer service, they will shit on you. I have said it before and will say it again.
Fuck MAF :flipoff:

There are lots of other good places to get shit. Spector, JToutfitters, CCOT, TPI.

With that said, The stock carb is about the best fuel setup on a LC other than a EFI. I have a weber 32/36 in my fj60 and makes lots of power, but it runs really rich and bogs out on hills. GO with with a Jim C rebuilt carb or just tune up your stocker.

Distributor, you can go HEI, pertronix, or the 78 distributor is electronic, so no points.

Head- You can make lots of power with head work, but dont mill it too much or you might have to start running higher octane gas to compensate for the higher compression. 91 is $1.80 a gallon here in INDY. :eek:

Bottom line, do alot of research before you buy shit. There are alot of guys here that know what works and what doesnt. Tap their wisdom.

Have you noticed that everything at SOR is twice as much money as MAF, opinions are like assholes, keeps yours to yourself until you have some facts.

With some adjustment, my WEBER runs as good or better than my Stock model.

I would recommend premium no matter how little you mod the head, you are changing it from factory and you will not know what effect that has.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I'm going from '79 Toyota electronic ignition to HEI this weekend on my '75 w/ 2F, MAF steel headers and a Weber 32/36. I'll post the differences as I've been wondering how much it would make.

FWIW, I also have a brand new Crane Cams electronic ignition module for sale (similar to the lower grade Pertnoix setups) installed in a complete '75 dizzy, the whole setup for $100? PM me if interested. It will make a mild difference over points, similar to going to stock Toyota electonic ignition.

I may also be willing to sell my '79 ignition...

Also, I've been wondering a little about timing for altitude. Local folklore is time it a little advanced for our alititude, like 10 degrees. Does this sound like valid advice?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jason>>>

still got the EGR, no smog pump. I was thinking about pulling all that crap out of there, but was concerned about performance, mileage etc. Don't know much about all that smog stuff. I passed emiss here in WA, and I won't have to do it again (25 year deal here) so I could yank it all. I'll drop Jim a line and ask advice

thanks

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Slowerthanu said:

Have you noticed that everything at SOR is twice as much money as MAF, opinions are like assholes, keeps yours to yourself until you have some facts.

I hate to jump in here but I have to. I "personally" don't think comparing the two is very even. It seems that MAF is aiming more for the aftermarket. Every time "I" have ordered a stock type item from MAF it was at least the same price, and got to my door weeks later (as opposed to the next day), after a few phone calls, and a few lines of crap about back-ordered this and "I swear we shipped it" that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Slowerthanu said:

opinions are like assholes, keeps yours to yourself until you have some facts.

Ouch, taking it a little personal aren't we?????

Luckily I have had good luck with MAF, but they made it seem like I was wasting their time when I called my orders in. (customer service) I haven't called them back.

CCOT on the other hand have been excellent all the way around. I emailed them the other night at around 8:00 pm and got a response the same night, about an hour later! And they always send extra "goodies" with the order, not to mention the calander.

Nick

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
DONT buy that crane cams igintion shit. god, that stuff is JUNK. we bought it from spector and ended up sending it back because none of the hardware fit and it was all around a shotty, cobbled, PO type setup.

DONT BUY IT.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts