Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my truck back from Dave'z and what a difference a nice rebuilt engine does for you.

So here is the problem: When the truck is cold it runs fine and has great power. Once it warms up and sits for a few hours it becomes hard to start and runs pretty rough at about 3k rpm. This problem existed prior to the rebuild of the motor, but seems to have gotten worse as far as running rough at higher RPMs. I've been through the search function and haven't really seen anything like this with a fuel injected system. So I was hoping that someone else had experienced this problem, and could point me in the right direction. Already went to a local shop and they said it was spark plugs and the TPS was off. So they replaced them and adjusted the TPS. Same problem still exist, and at least they were gracious enough not to charge me. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
to clarify, after cold start up. Does it run rough when warm, or just after sitting for a few hours than restarted?
every had the injectors checked/cleaned?
temp. sensor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had the fuel injectors rebuilt by RC Engineering. Right now it appears to happen only when it has sat a few hours and actually this morning it started doing it after sitting for about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try calling DAVEZ? He has always been great on the phone!
of course............I hate to keep bugging him. He's busier than a 3 legged man in an ass kickin contest. I'm sure he'll fix it, just curious if anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is this a 22RE?

Does it only do it when driving, or does it stumble/etc when just sitting in neutral?

Do you or davez have a spare ecu that can be tried?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this a 22RE?

Does it only do it when driving, or does it stumble/etc when just sitting in neutral?

Do you or davez have a spare ecu that can be tried?
I think that is route will probably go. Dave also thinks that it could be a worn fuel pump that isn't putting out enough pressure. Should be interesting to see what the he finds out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It sounds like you are not getting enough fuel, or the computer is getting the timing way off, seems odd it is only when warm tho.

Have you got any parts or access to a parts truck I would try another fuel pump (replace the fuel filter and drain and clean the tank while there) and see what happens, if no then getting a pressure guage in the fuel rail and an O2 sensor in the exhaust to see if it is way rich or lean would be handy, also testing the exhaust O2 sensor as this when warm tells the comp how much fuel to add remove from the system, on cold start the comp has a different map and ignores the O2 sensor.

EFI problems are not fun to track down good luck and if it fixes it well it would be because I went through the same thing on my Mitsi Evo race car many times.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Sounds stupid but check your termostat. You may be running in closed loop because it not getting hot enough. Had this problem on my last sidekick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.