Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a good place online I can get a reasonable priced pextle roller? I want an english wheel, but to get a good one, Im looking at 2000+ dollars...
I want a pextle roller for forming up to maybe 16gage thick, and aluminum ___ gage thick. I found they are around 1500+ dollars for 16 gage ones... unless I am looking in the wrong spot, can someone giude me to one that is more inexpensive? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
I think you mean Pexto. It is a brand name, rather than a type of roller. sounds like you are looking for a slip roll.

HTH
Chad

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Are you trying to roll beads?

HF has a bead roller for $100...

Search for more, it's been discussed.

Oh yeah, Pexto is the trade name for products of the Peck, Stowe, and Wilcox company. High quality, high dollar.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ok what am I missing? I understand it’s to bend sheet metal... right? But what is the application. Any pics of finished projects?

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
bob large said:
Ok what am I missing? I understand it’s to bend sheet metal... right? But what is the application. Any pics of finished projects?
You can make things like this hood out of a flat sheet

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Old Scout said:
You can make things like this hood out of a flat sheet

Damn you do some nice work there Old Scout! :flipoff2:

In my case is it more like "pound the hell out of until it looks like a bag of walnuts..... then roll on the english wheel until it looks like a warped bag of walnuts!" :D

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
bob large said:
No, brakes are used to bend. English wheels are to smooth out rough edges/contours on rough shaped parts. Bed rollers imprint various contours onto metal, depending upon the dies one uses. Planishing hammers pound the rough edges out :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Paul,

You forget "hammer forming on a buck!" :)

Something I'd love to build for a experimental aircraft.

Nose Bowl in Metal

Yep, lots of way to do it.... just having the tools and KNOWLEDGE to use them means doing some jobs quicker than others!

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the name from azmaverick's buggy post... he said he used a pextle so thats what I thought the tool was called.

I want to build a tranny hump, and fenders, and other odd jobs.

I did another search on the internet, and its a slip roll I am looking for... I think. It looks like it gradually shapes the metal, as you put it through the 3 rolls?
I guess I'll keep looking. I don't have the skills to make my own english wheel, and I dont have alot of space for a bench mounted one, thats why I said 2000 dollars for a floor mounted one....
I dont know the exact LxW on what I will be shaping because I haven't measured yet...

Thanks for all the replies!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Wow! Cool I didn't know you could form things like that without welding and grinding, or I giant press. Dude that is cool! :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
ebay for both the pexto rollers, and english wheels and also english wheel kits/
and or just the anvils.......

I bought a 3-anvil set, with center shafts, bearings, and the 6" top roller
for about 250 + shipping on ebay........

just do a search for Pexto roller, and english wheel..........

--Sherpa

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked on ebay last night and only 2 complete kits (I just have to buy steel and weld it) came up for "english wheel" and none came up for pexto roller. I tried slip roll too, but nothing came up but a bunch of random stuff.

I'd rather pay from a supplier, than off of ebay because I have heard of a few people getting ripped off, or fraud, etc. I dont want to take the risk :(

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i have an enco slip roll and an enco box brake. decent stuff for a non production shop.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM

i would love to own a pexto but they are pricey and hard to come by used.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
camo said:
i have an enco slip roll and an enco box brake. decent stuff for a non production shop.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM

i would love to own a pexto but they are pricey and hard to come by used.
What box brake and slip roll did you get? I mean, what are the measurements on the capacities? How do they work, if you were looking for one again, in the same price range, would you recommend those to me?

Thanks Camo!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts