Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for ideas on how best to add airbumps to a 96 F-150 4WD while keeping the stock coil and shock arrangements. I have seen many kits with custom coilbuckets and the shock relocated in front of the spring. Has anyone seen a truck with the coil and spring in the stock location that has airbumps. I have damn near worn out the internet searching.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
got picture of what your working with?

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
any chance to putting the bump on the backside of the bucket, striking the trailing arm?

is there room for an a-arm type?

is there room on the inside of the frame?

im having a hard time finding 4wd and all the 2wds have coilovers

·
Registered
120 Posts
On a quad shock front, there is a bracket on the front of the beams for a shock mount...

I would look into mounting the bump in front o the coil, and build a strike plate to work in that area....

In fact, I am pretty sure I have seen that set-up....

Chase

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
X2 go inside of the coil bucket, but making a striker on the bolt that the radius uses to bolt to the beam might be a little tricky.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It MIGHT work, BUT, it would be less work, and cheaper to mount a cup on the frame, and build a striker...

Or, mount the cup, on the frame, in line with the coil, where the rubber bump stop is, and use the beam as a strike...If needed, add some plate for a little strength...

Chase

·
Rolling Mod
41,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
any chance to putting the bump on the backside of the bucket, striking the trailing arm?

is there room on the inside of the frame?

im having a hard time finding 4wd and all the 2wds have coilovers
That is the problem I found. Almost everything with bumps has coilovers, at the very least they have moved the shock to the front.

Inside the frame would be a challenge to get great all over welding without pulling the motor.

On a quad shock front, there is a bracket on the front of the beams for a shock mount...

I would look into mounting the bump in front o the coil, and build a strike plate to work in that area....

In fact, I am pretty sure I have seen that set-up....

Chase
This is kind of what I am thinking too. I was looking to see how this had been done in the past.

In the distant future we will coilover the truck. At that point it will be fairly easy to add bumps. In the meantime I would like to dampen the huge hits.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Lemme dig through my pics, and links, I will find a few pics for ya to work with..

Chase

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
any chance of running a single bypass heavyily valved with liberal use of the bypass giving you some stiff valving on the last bit of travel? not really the proper way but will give you what youre looking for.

why you looking to keep the coil bucket? shop truck?

·
Rolling Mod
41,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah this is the shop truck. Trying to use products were currently manufacture. Next year we will make some improvements. We put bumps on the back and I am very happy with them. Looking for ideas for the front.

I accidently took a big jump in Barstow. The rear took it the front was a pinch harsh. If I get the video I will post it up. Trying to figure out if I can easily improve the truck before it goes to Pismo in three weeks.

Currently it has gone for the Expo. Hopefully I can find some F-150's there for ideas.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
you running a stock front suspension? cause the few pics of stock suspensions ive found, you dont have room for much inthere.

what about mouting the bump unpside down on the trailing arm and having it strike the frame?

·
Rolling Mod
41,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
for some reason i thought that one was 2wd and this was another one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A few Autofab Examples:

These are of a Ranger, but would work the same on a full size.

Bronco

This one of course is a coil-over (Spirit front end), but the geometry is basically the same

·
Registered
70 Posts
Whoops, I meant to post these as well.

The pics aren't the best for what you're after, but it's back there. I was somewhat surprised at how they're made, but the truck has been in hard use for a few years now and aside from the marks the bump striker makes, they look new. Rick (the owner) frequents Pismo if you ever want to see it in person. We're planning a camping trip at the beginning of the year if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
the shock will be more effective if mounted in front of the beam. i'd try run the shock in front and bump in back if at all possible.

you trying to work with the stock buckets?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts