Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
newt said:
Check this out. 38s, hummer wheels, D60-14b, waggy spring over, custom cage.....

What do you think?

I've never seen anything like it!! :flipoff2:

I like the simplicity of the whole thing. 'Specially the cage. Cool.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
way to shiny need scratches :flipoff2:

otherwise looks nice:D but you have to thraash it a little and see what need upgrading.
and i would kill to get stationed where you live but that is not happening
:(

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Nice Job:D

I like the front fenders...real simple design, just need some sheet rubber to make an inner fender flap...

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
Looks good. I dig the simplicity, yet effectiveness. Be prepared to get thrashed for the use of revolvers on the SOA'ed rig though :rolleyes: Some people. I like it though!
Scott

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Its a DD and I'm not wealthy so simple is good. I'm a true believer in 'KISS'.

The relolvers are a cary-over from the SUA. The Sam's traction bar should keep them in check, but I'm keeping an eye on them. So far I haven't had any wheel hop.

The Navy is making me leave in April. Those bastards are making me go to Pearl Harbor Hawaii. ;) So far the detailers have been very good to me.

The paint is thrashed and the windshield frame is almost rusted through. The bright sun and iffy digital pics really make it look much better than it is. I'm hoping I've got it protected enough that I'll have to do something stupid to do any real body damage.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I must agree; I'm diggin' the whole rig. I love the simple approach; great looking rig. The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is the two front pillars bolting into the dash panel.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
JS-Economos said:
The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is the two front pillars bolting into the dash panel.
Did you notice the tube behind the dash that appears to be taking the load to the frame? I didn't like it much either til I noticed this picture.

Nice CJ! Three things I would do to it if it were mine:
1. Shave that 14 bolt. You could get another inch of clearance easily.

2. Take some steel across the front fixed spring hangers and weld them together for more rigidity.

3. Line the inner fenders.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The front cage hoop attaches at the dash and there is a piece from the inside of the dash to the floor, but it doesn't go to the frame (yet). The other four points go to the frame. The design really helps with leg room and the hard doors/window cranks still clear.

The whole front bumper has been re-done. Pictures to follow.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
newt said:
The Navy is making me leave in April. Those bastards are making me go to Pearl Harbor Hawaii. ;) So far the detailers have been very good to me.

yes, yes now i hate you:flipoff2:

i hope you are taking it with you, take off the tires and put some junkyard special stock tires/rims so they dont give you any shipping issues.
tell them the swampers are 2 coffee tables and a chair and have them shipped with your household goods :D

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
newt said:

The relolvers are a cary-over from the SUA. The Sam's traction bar should keep them in check, but I'm keeping an eye on them. So far I haven't had any wheel hop.
On climbs it will lift the rear and cause the tires to lose traction, this causes the body to drop sense the tires arent giving shit for torgue, they then regain traction and cause this again. This is anti squat induced wheel hop not the standard axle wrap induced. The standard cure is either ditch the revolvers which gets rid of alot of the problem, or mount a center limiting strap that is damn near tight at ride height. I witnessed this first hand on two jeeps with 38" plus tires and the sams bar

·
Registered
324 Posts
looks great. i was wondering if they are stock waggy springs or 44044's or what. thanks for any help, scott
also do the hummer wheels have any spacers behind them?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll keep an eye on the revolvers and ditch them once I see any negative side effects, but so far they have worked well and I like the way they ride. I haven't gotten really vertical with them yet. We'll see.

The springs are stock waggy fronts from JCW. The front axle was shortened ~4" on the long side so the passenger side spring mount was in the right place (no outboard needed) and the axle is centered. There are 2" spacers to clear the steering, keep the tires off the springs and help protect the hubs. The rear is stock width (no spacers).

Engine is an AMC 401 (stock - 2bbl), T-18a, Dana 20 w/3.15 gears, twin stick, AA output. The gears are 4.56s w/ f&r Detroits. It works pretty well but I wish I had EFI-auto-Atlas.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
CSP said:

Did you notice the tube behind the dash that appears to be taking the load to the frame? I didn't like it much either til I noticed this picture.
Nah, I didn't see that pic; again - nice work! :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
thanks fo rthe help. i have 60's front and rear going undermine with hummer wheels and 38's. so i was trying to get an idea, thanks again, scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts