Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the hunt for the famous Ford HP60. Everyone that is selling them out of there garages want 700 and up. Looked at Pick N Pull pricing online and its only 300 bucks after core and taxes. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Question is, should i trust a Pick N Pull axle or not? I know to look for the obvious stuff like bent tubes or brackets for any type of potential accident it might have been in.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Everyone that is selling them out of there garages want 700 and up.
Yeah, that sounds about right. $700 being the low end of what you can expect to see.

If you find a HP60 anywhere for $300 buy it. Good luck with that.
Yeah...that ^^^.

I've seen ONE before, that we luckily got to.

That's combined between 4+ yards in Colorado, over the last 8 years or so?

Even if the junkyard had/has one...many know what they are and pull them. I've seen many that pull them and are listed as "premium" for upwards of $1300.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I'm sure most guys in their garage is just pulling it from the junk yard and reselling.
It's what a lot of do.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I'm sure most guys in their garage is just pulling it from the junk yard and reselling.
It's what a lot of do.
X2...goodluck finding a HP60 in a Pick N Pull..if you did..it got thrown in the yard the night before or the day before.
I've literally saw them put what looks like one being hauled out before they opened back in like 2011....got in..walked over...sure enough there was a guy there already ahead of me...and it was one. He was waiting..came back by about 20 mins later..friend was back with tools and they were already rippin it out.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
I got 1 Ford BJ D60 for $125, 2 Ford BJ D60 for $250 each, 1 Ford king pin D60 for $250.

3 of them was from one junkyard near me. The kingpin one was buried under some overgrown weeds, already pulled, ready to be paid for and have their tractor to put it in back of my truck. The other one was in FAR other end from the truck section in what look like it got misplaced in a "rear axle pile", grabbed that one too. All the 3 BJ ones I got was the 92-97 units.

It depends on where you live. Here in NYS trucks go to junkyards pretty much from rust death so they do go through junkyards here. If you're in the south, more are still on the road. Of course I have fun busting my ass to get the spindle off the knuckle haha

·
Old School
1,878 Posts
I've bought two of them in the last year from area junkyards for $300. These were the early 90's ball joint variety with the bolt-on calipers.

I'd be surprised if you could find one at a pick-n-pull.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for helping me to come to reality of my imagination. Thats what i thought you all were gonna say. But ive still got plenty of time ony hands to hunt one down.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have heard stories of pick-n-pull employees buying them and flipping them for a profit. they know what people will pay.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Where are you located KTM?

Here in the PNW they are as rare as unicorn farts in the JY and going rate is $8-$1300 private sale. Around here you have better luck finding one in a truck and parting it out. Then you can recoup cost from scrap price.

·
Registered
692 Posts
keep your eyes open for an entire truck, occasionally the whole thing can be had for less than just the axle, then you make money and get what you're after

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
That is current for Nv. We're not much better in Utah. $.020/lb this morning. I feel it's only that good since we have Nucor right up the road in Plymouth. You can thank China for fawking with the market. Not that I'm very pleased with the idea of the scrap market when we should mining and producing our own steel.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
How could someone possibly comment on the quality of an axle at a junkyard that you haven't even found? I doubt that your going to just walk into a pnp at your leisure and pick out a KP 60.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts