Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened if I used a Toyota 85 pick up P/S box intead of a Toyota Land Cruisser P/S box? is that more weak or with less "power"?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Yes, it is weaker but will work. I run mini truck power steering on my 40. It's technically called "power assist." It works great for me but I remember being in some tricky situations with my 60 and the stock power steering (which is stronger than mini truck) wasn't strong enough. But for every day driving (and even wheeling) it was fine. Another thing you could do is run the mini powersteering with a more powerful pump. Like a saginaw pump. That would knock it's socks off. The steering setup is basically a power version of the stock steering setup. A lateral bar off off the steering box that's parallel to the frame behind the left front tire.

In order of strength:
1) mini truck (weakest, but easiest to install)
2) FJ60
3) Saginaw

Mini truck was more or less bolt in though with some minor welding required. I would probably do it again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The insides of a mini ps box are the same as the landcruiser. The only difference is the case were it bolts to the pedestal. You can order the case from toyota for about $350.00 and stuff the mini insides in and it works fine. OF course the remanufactured pedestal is less than a hundred and you don/t have to mess with a lot of bearings!!!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
BJ On Roids said:
if its a IFS minitruck the IFS box is the same as a FJ60 box

if its push pull type then steer clear :flipoff2:
How can the IFS & FJ60 PS box be the same??? The pitman arm on a FJ60 box faces forward & the pitman arm on a IFS MT box faces rearward. Please explain how these are the same when the rotation on the sector shaft is TOTALLY opposite...:confused:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Wyld Bill said:

How can the IFS & FJ60 PS box be the same??? The pitman arm on a FJ60 box faces forward & the pitman arm on a IFS MT box faces rearward. Please explain how these are the same when the rotation on the sector shaft is TOTALLY opposite...:confused:
the internals are the same, pull it apart, just by swapping the internals around the housings and parts are all the same!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.