Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning for a build on a 67 800 I bought. Not getting started on it until this FAll. Main goal was to be fun build, street and trail worthy, and somewhat budgeted. With 2 kids, the wife isnt working any more so funds are limited.

It'll have an EFI 5.0, manual trans, Early Bronco D20, and links. 4 link rear, not sure about front, but probably a radius arm/track-bar setup with coilovers. Why links? because the cool. I doubt I'll hit any trails that would benefit from them. It's more about the design/build part of them. I've talked to Damian and may buy his setup, or I might try and design it myself and piece it together.

Regardles, I'm just looking for some opinions on axles. I have a 68 EB 9", I'd planned to use. Damian informed me about the big bearing 9" units being much better. I don't think this is. Is it worth using, and where are it's limitations. I got it cheap, to go with the budget theme. I'd almost rather spend the money on the suspension, and worry about this when it breaks later, but maybe someone can talk me out of it now.

so with that, I've been looking for an EB D44 w/disc brakes to go with it and match the width and have a half descent axle. There is one locally w/4.56 gears and open diff for 350 right now. Again with the budget theme.

However, I really want to run 37's or 38 on this. I feel like I should limit myself with 35 with these two axles, and have been considering finding some D60's. Expenses go way up from here, but maybe it's the right thing to do. Anyone run full width axles on one of these, or would that just be stupid. I could have several thousand into some properly built 60's.

I plan to build this thing to beat it. I've got an F350 you can call a mall crawler, but this rig is going to get abused. Maybe sucking it up and spending money on some 60's is just the right thing to do. Not to mention I have zero off road driving experience/skill. Then again, maybe I should just get it built with the 9"/D44 now, and upgrade those later when these break.

Opinions welcome.

Eric

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Read the FAQ yet? http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373713

I think the D44/9" combo will do fine even up to ~35-37" tires with the 5.0, the S800 is similar size weight to an EB, (wonder why? :rolleyes: ) and quite a bit lighter than '77+ Bronco or F150 and people ran the D44/9" combo with large tires in those for a long time.
The D44/9" will still be a huge upgrade in strength over the stock D27/30 or the 2 piece D44 that you probably have in the S800 now.

Sure a pair of D60s would kick ass, but you already have the 9" and can get the matching D44, and they fit your budget...go for it.

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,032 Posts
I'm all for the cheap thing....

But axles get pricey when you start thinking about changing gears (to match) and adding lockers...

If I were you, I'd look for a matching set of axles from the same truck...
Either EB (9"/D44) or 70s F250/150 (wider 9"/44)...

With 37s, look for 4.10s (at least) or 4.56s... You might get lucky & find a posi in the 9"... I don't know 9" well, but I think you can get a lunchbox or similar for a few hundred.

EDIT: $400 for axles & whole truck...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607287

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, I looked through the faq. Some good D44 info in there, among everything else. Saw some good D20 info, too. I'll read through it all.

I think this EB D44 is the way to go for now. It'll get me up and running without requiring a re-tube or axle shortening, and it already has 4.56's. I'll just need a locker for it, as well as matching 4.56's and locker for the 9". Could even just weld the 9" up, and save the ARB's for the 60's down the road. Maybe as the project is nearing the road, I can upgrade the axles and u-joints, at least. If I don't break everything before someday getting some 60's setup, they'd at least be worth a couple bucks. I'll just stick with 35's or 36's for now. Should be able to go up a couple inches with the link setup to support D60's and 38's down the road.

It's an upgrade from what I have, and should work descent as I develop some driver skills.

Urban Wheeler, I didnt know what other reason to justify the links. Because I want to, I guess. I didnt dare say it was a performance gain, just look at your picture. I just want to design it, fabricate it, install it and use it.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Just seems that people want to run links because everyone else is doing it. I'm not because leaves are easier and cheaper, and can flex as well.

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,032 Posts
If this thing is going to be 80% street & 20% trail, I wouldn't weld the rear....

Hell, you can bolt it in for now as is (even with different gearings) for the street.

3rds are cool because you can watch for geared/locked ones on the board.
I'd leave the front open for now with the 4.56s (cheapest), look for a 3rd with gears & a detroit (can be found for $300-$400 if your patient).

Then pick up an Aussie for the front next year for $200.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Just seems that people want to run links because everyone else is doing it. I'm not because leaves are easier and cheaper, and can flex as well.
X2.... Exactly, easier trail repair with leafs. I can steal anybody's chevy springs.

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,032 Posts
X2.... Exactly, easier trail repair with leafs. I can steal anybody's chevy springs.
I carry two 5"x7" plates that have holes at each corner along with 4 bolts.
If I tweak a spring (two actually, since I have military wrap) I can use the plates to re-enforce the bent portion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, in the name of being on a budget, I could link the rear with coils, and use leafs in the front. It would save lots of money on expensive coil overs. Sound like a good plan? I've been reading all about links the last couple months. I'll have to dig into leafs. I can imagine the search results I'll get with "leaf spring>" Back to the faq... I have the stock spring hangers from my super duty. Maybe those would be of some use.

I need to go get this D44. I should be able to go get it Tuesday. Hopefully it's not sold. After, I'll keep an eye out for a 9" 3rd with 4.56's and a locker. I'm sure I'll find a good deal on one before this project is complete.

Eric

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
picked up that 44. Looks puny, but seems to be in good shape. Probably a good match for the small bearing 9" I have, and hopefully enough for 36's. Anyone know if I can grind off the radius arm bushing things on the axle tubes. I could only find info on the big bronco 44's that have them cast in and can't be ground off. Also been trying to figure out what axles I can swap into the 44 to be able to run larger u-joints than what came in the EB D44.

been reading this forum and searching every night for over a week. I'm pumped to get working on this build. I want to do the 4 link rear, just for the design/build part of it. But I'm going springs up front with a shackle reversal and 52 or 56" chevy springs. A buddy has a junk yard, so I'm hoping I can score some sweet stuff over there for cheap/nothing.

I haven't really found much about ride heights on an 800 with these springs. I see a lot about using the 44044's. I want it tall. Don't worry, I'm not asking....still searching. I'll probably end up test fitting whatever springs I come up with and adjusting from there until I get the ride height I want, then design/build the 4 link to match.

UW, just curious, you posted twisted's ride because it flexes real good with leaf's. But you guys also hammered him for using those revolver shackles. Are people flexing that good with leafs running standard shackles?

Eric

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I tried the 44044's on mine but they were too tall so I went with stockers, of course mine isn't running yet :p

My rigs have always flexed well with springs..

These are BRAND NEW first day out 44044 springs on a light truck

I did have a "buggy leaf" rear but I pinned that up and just run a simple shackle setup

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
picked up that 44. Looks puny, but seems to be in good shape. Probably a good match for the small bearing 9" I have, and hopefully enough for 36's. Anyone know if I can grind off the radius arm bushing things on the axle tubes. I could only find info on the big bronco 44's that have them cast in and can't be ground off. Also been trying to figure out what axles I can swap into the 44 to be able to run larger u-joints than what came in the EB D44. Not sure what joints came in the eb 44's, but for the most partyou can't just swap parts without going custom. I looked into it a little and found that Reid Racing has d60 inners that would fit on a d44 tube, run 60 outers and custom shafts.

been reading this forum and searching every night for over a week. I'm pumped to get working on this build. I want to do the 4 link rear, just for the design/build part of it. But I'm going springs up front with a shackle reversal and 52 or 56" chevy springs. A buddy has a junk yard, so I'm hoping I can score some sweet stuff over there for cheap/nothing.

I haven't really found much about ride heights on an 800 with these springs. I see a lot about using the 44044's. I want it tall. Don't worry, I'm not asking....still searching. I'll probably end up test fitting whatever springs I come up with and adjusting from there until I get the ride height I want, then design/build the 4 link to match.

UW, just curious, you posted twisted's ride because it flexes real good with leaf's. But you guys also hammered him for using those revolver shackles. Are people flexing that good with leafs running standard shackles?

Eric
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=593117

There's lots of stuff you can do to with leaf springs to get them to flex like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
too bad you can't put those alcan joints in a regular spring. I'm sure they get good money for the whole spring.

I'm gonna hunt through the junk yard, but the 44044's sound pretty good. I'll have to keep any eye out for some for sale, and see if I can find some pics of an 800 with them up front.

UW, got this from mr. N's website...

<<<Early Bronco Dana 44 axle: The came with a Dana 44 starting in 1971, but the Dana 30 can also be found in that year. All EB's had 5-260 style u-joint axles from Ford, they never had the 297 style.. Thus it is a popular option to swap axle shafts for the large size. Most common is to swap the short or stub side, as it is so easy to do. Check main page for axle shaft chart, as it lists the different shafts you can swap in..
, It's a common swap to use an F150 short side shaft to replace the EB shaft. This is to increase the u-joint from a 260 to a 297. The EB shaft is 18 5/16" and the F150 shaft is 18 5/8 to 29/32". Thus it's common for the F150 shaft to be trimmed to fit on the pumpkin side. However the Chevy Dana 44 shaft is 18 1/2" so it would work better as an inner shaft than the F150. Also a Dodge W100 from 1972.5 - 74 with B.O.M. 603413 has the exact same length axle shaft at18 5/16" but with a 297 u-joint!>>>

...so I was hoping there would be some easy shafts to find to run the 297's.

Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts