Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I searched and searched, but apparently I'm a moron and can't hit the right combination of words to find pictures that I KNOW I'VE SEEN of people building their own frames from scratch.

I'm not planning anything fancy, just a simple straight frame. Going to run Waggy rears SOA, half tub with CJ front clip, full width axles. I have a mint CJ7 frame, but was just thinking that by the time I get done outboarding it, cutting and grinding off all the stock brackets, and not having many stock mounts that I'm even going to use, i might as well just buy some 2x4x316 box tube and make one the way I want it.

So just looking for pictures for inspiration and ideas. :beer:

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
boots,

I'm doing near the same thing...

FWIW- Im matching my perches on my hp60 with the front frame horns...31" I think. The rear will be 36". Bumper to bumper lenght will be about XJ-ish and WB will be 105-108".

Same thought on the 2x4x3/16 with 2x2 crossmembers.

I'm about 2 weeks from ordering 40' of 2x4 for this. Already got the 60s and a 5.8 EFI Ford V8/Auto/t-case.

You cutting up your fiberglass tub or finding a steel one?

EDIT- MJ sent me a few links when we were talking over IM. Might want to ask him.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Way Off Road Cory has been trying to talk me into bending a tube frame but I don't have the $$ to deal with all of the fawked up bends I'd end up with.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning to get a semi-beat metal body and just bob it to a cab. I have no illusions of my abilities with fiberglass, so I'm not going to go cutting up a $1400 fiberglass tub.

My plan is to make it 31.25" on center (for the full width front axle) and just run it straight back from there. I have to do some more figuring and sketching yet (and need to see some PICS) before I commit to any one plan.

The more I think about it, I wish I could keep that mint CJ frame and the fiberglass body and build a puffy street rig while building this other machine, but that's two more drivelines to build, when i'm not even on a budget to build one machine. :mad:

So, sacrifices will be made. Pretty much all the Jeep stuff I have right now is going up on the auction block to get fundage for the new project. Its do or die time.

But I won't ditch that CJ7 frame until I'm sure.

BTW, I'll let it go for $200. :flipoff2:

Boots

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Look up CJ Lagos. he built a TJ frame from some box tube, its pretty sick.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
boots,

I'm planning on a bob like what IndyCJ did here...just a little longer for that "extra-cab" space, then I'm heading up your way to Tom's shop to bend a bed ala AEV Brute for the rear area out of aluminum plate..

Keep your frame and fibre tub...I am sure I can help out with some axles etc. to make a fairly nice street runner for you cheap.

Prolly still can help with your sticker collection too.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Criminy.

Allow me to restate. I'm looking for SIMPLE, CHEAP, and EASY. lol.

Some kids must be missing their jungle gym.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
btt

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoops, sorry, wrong thread.
Well, thanks for clarifying that as opposed to deleting the original reply. :rolleyes:

You GNRR guys... I think Ridge Runner brain cells should be declared an endangered species. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
BootsntheJeep said:

You GNRR guys... I think Ridge Runner brain cells should be declared an endangered species. :flipoff2:
Whoa! Hey! What?!?

I guess we better get some steel and do this before mine become extinct.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
BTT for any more thoughts. I will be starting this very shortly and would like more input.
I was wrong about the "two weeks from starting".:rolleyes: :flipoff2:

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
BossBuilt posted this

And here is the pic I searched for:

CJ66Dean built this out of 2x4x.120

Clean and simple

1 - 20 of 30 Posts