Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on my local Jeep forum. But figured yall might get a kick out of it.

Since it warmed up I was able to start working on it. As some of you saw it was offered for sale on this board among many others. The photo he posted of it (will be the first one on here) must have been pretty old. He had it for 6 years. It was in much worse shape then he suggested it was. I honestly almost walked away from it like everyone else did. But he never titled it either since he had it which was another turn off for most. I am currently trying to get the title straightened out. Back to the story.

He said the fuel pump just went out on it. Which it was out. Honestly I think this is why he sold it. Not because the pump went out. But because it had a major engine problem it allowed to hide. Now don't get me wrong for the price I paid I am really not that upset. I would have just liked him to be honest about it. I got the pump in and running and it idled ok but made no power and had a loud noise in the motor. Did a compression check and from front to back 175, 210, 45, 180. Yep something was wrong in #3. The ARO has a Ford Ranger 2.3 motor 4 speed and transfercase. So those parts are not hard to come by. But I had a full 2.3 Turbo long block out of one of my old Murker XR4Ti's. So the heart transplant has begun.

Photo he used to sell it. It was in even worse shape.

It sat under a tree all those years and had some sort of fungus growing all over the hood and such. So To make it not look as bad of an eye sore I diecided to take it off. First a sponge with out much luck. Then a Green scrubber (for dishes) working better but still to slow of a process. Then out came the steel SOS pad. This was the hot ticket. With the degreaser and the SOS it came off real quick. Being the thing looked pretty bad already what were some more fine scratches. Well that got me to thinking what if I try to compound the thing. So out came the Dewalt, the Waffle pad, and some Miguires Dimond cutting compound. Well 4 hours later I was able to remove all the oxidation out of the paint and it looked 200% better. Then out came the solid foam pad and the polish. WOW looked even better after about 2 hours. Then I waxed it and man it almost looks new. So there went a whole day on the paint.

Here are a few pics during the process and then of it finished.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I repainted the front grill black. I will do the same to the bumpers after I bang them out some. As you can see I removed the old motor and cleaned the engine bay in the latter pic.

Here is the mess with the old motor apart and the new one getting the serp belt system put on it amoung other things.

Who can guess what axles are in the background of this pic?

Sunday I am going to try to weld up the diffs and make it fully locked. I need to pick up a few parts for the motor Monday before I can put in the new motor. Then I will have more pics of the diffs and the motor going in.

Here are the photos from today welding up the rear. Had to use flux core so never mind the not so pretty welds and slag. Oh and if my math is correct it has 4.12 gears in it.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The front looks like it is going to be even more fun to pull apart.

Ok here is a little update. Went out playing it in alittle testing. Found out I could not climb a ledge more the 8" tall because of the bumper. So off part of it went. Looks a little odd but it works. I got her stuck in some silt. She was up to her frame. The tires do not have alot of tread on them so I had to get the waggy to help it out. It didn't take but some light pressure and she came right out. Only reason I got stuck was I was in 4 hi and 3rd gear and she started to bog. By the time I shifted it was over. I did go back thru there in a lower gear and made it fine. I got some video of some of it but it really dosent give you a good idea how ruff it was.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well today I broke a tie rod and sheered the input shaft into the hubs. I broke both sides clean off. Once I wash it off I will take some pics. Then remove the shafts and broken peice and see if Ron at Inland can rebuild it. I wasn't trying to replce the front end this soon.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is the cruddy video She was just holding the camera while we were bouncing around. Ya really can't get a good feel for how it really was. I do not know how I ever broke it :rolleyes:. So here is 8 min of your life you will never get back.

I have some more photos of the damage I will get the up later.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Interesting!

I got all excited to buy one of these about 10yrs ago, and then they never imported any. :( And then the last I saw of it, they CAN"T be imported.

Cool little rigs though.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I can not get new shafts for the front. I will have to put the 1 tons in the Waggy and put the 44 out of the Waggy into the ARO. IFS sucks anyway. I just wish it would have lasted longer then the 2 weeks it did. After that she will get some 34s and she will be done.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting!

I got all excited to buy one of these about 10yrs ago, and then they never imported any. :( And then the last I saw of it, they CAN"T be imported.

Cool little rigs though.
There are a few here in the states. You just really have to look for them. And I guess if you find one you can import a new one. Not that I condone VIN swapping. Because that is wrong :shaking: .

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Wasn't that for sale in the KC area?? I was kicking the idea around just to have something different but decided I had enough projects already- Dare to be different:smokin:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes this was the one. It was a total basket case. Guy used it as his dumpster also. It was really bad inside.

Wasn't that for sale in the KC area?? I was kicking the idea around just to have something different but decided I had enough projects already- Dare to be different:smokin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts