Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Stock Axles

I am not gonna' be the widest - but I maybe about as wide as it gets with stock axles. The tracks are 18 inches wide, and and the drums are zero offset - but the tracks overhang a couple inches. It will not fit on a standard car carrier trailer - I think it is about 73 - 74 inches wide.

Here are the Terra Traks - mounted on 12" rims, the 15.5 tractor tires are pretty wide too - and the rims are a 2" offset in the rear, 4" in the front.

Stock axles, no power steering. Strong arms.
deepmud

·
Registered
454 Posts
Toyota axles, 35x12.50 MT/R's, 15x8's with 2.5" backspacing.

Oh, and the other one... stock Sammy axles, 4.57 gears, front/rear lock-rights, 28" tires, 15x8's with 2.75" backspacing :D . He is comparing a 33x12.50, which he now runs. ~Steve

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rude , what was the WMS to WMS width on the D-44s? and how much backspacing etc.

Scaw: What's your setup?

I've got a set of FJ-80 Toy axles that are 63" between the WMS...... trying to figure out if that is going to be too wide or not. I'm not concerned with street legality, just trail performance.
I'm not sure if I buy into Pontiac's "Wider is Better" deal just yet. Thanks for the pics everyone.
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Twisted.......... what's your axle/tire/wheel combo that puts you at 80"?
I'm htinking iwth the 63" FJ-80, plus 8" rims w/ 4" backspacing. I'll be looking at 71" to the outside of the rims, and then say another 1.5" per side for tire bulge, so let's say 74"

·
Registered
221 Posts
Was wider with my 35" boggers but this is with 37" ssrs and 15x10 4" BS.. not to bad for the width..

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
twistedmetal said:
Hey Shane? Starting to sound like you miss the "Old Days." So what's it like not getting to hear sheetmetal crunch? :confused:

Ok, OK, mine's not a Sammi, but it's still got an "S!"
No im not missing the old days.....It is alot different wheelin the buggy vs the zuk, the zuk was fun, i can get even nuttier with this one though:D

My axles are 61" WMS

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Does any one have pics with the tires off looking down the side.
The different backspacing is making it hard to gage how far past the body the axles stick out.

I’ve got an 83 toy ready to buy.
WV lift laws require that the “tires be covered”
I want to see how hard that will be to do with the toy axles.

What is the "hub to hub" width on 83 toy axles?

Ultimately, I want to know if I can get by with wider flares, or negative backspace wheels (stock toy). I don’t want to make it a full time trailer queen. I have to keep it legal for local trips.

BTW what parts should I get from this truck before I scrap it.
Axles – yes
Driveshafts?
Springs?
Steering?

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Silver
get the axles, springs, definitely the driveshafts, and whatever else you think you might use............ if you've got a corner to throw the junk in, then keep some more, where's the motor, trans, t-case? keep those....

Anyway, the solid axle era Toy axles are 55" between the mounting surfaces I think. With about a 2" wider flare and proper backspacing you will be able to cover them no problem. The stock toy rims are a good idea, but most are only 6" wide, so you'd have to run a skinny tire. The newer alloy ones are probably 7". good luck

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Here is mine. 83 Yota axle w/1.5-inch spacers and an 86 rear.

SilverZuk said:
The front is 55.9 inches and the rear is 55.1 inches. At least that is what I remember. The 86 rear is 58 inches. My setup is 72-inches wide (outside of tires of course).

Attachments

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
SilverZuk said:
Does any one have pics with the tires off looking down the side.
The different backspacing is making it hard to gage how far past the body the axles stick out.

I’ve got an 83 toy ready to buy.
WV lift laws require that the “tires be covered”
I want to see how hard that will be to do with the toy axles.

Ultimately, I want to know if I can get by with wider flares, or negative backspace wheels (stock toy). I don’t want to make it a full time trailer queen. I have to keep it legal for local trips.

BTW what parts should I get from this truck before I scrap it.
Axles – yes
Driveshafts?
Springs?
Steering?
with 61" axles out side to out side of tire with my 37's i am 78" wide.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Both of my axles are 59.5 inches wide, my rig is 78 inches wide outside of tire to outside of tire.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts