Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
'80Toad said:
Whats with the concrete looking stuff??
Good looking trip.
It's leftover asphalt from when roads ran through the canyons many years ago when the area was still supporting a huge silver mining industry. When the price of silver dropped, the silver mines went out of business. There are still a lot of deserted mines in the area you can explore, some go way in and some go up and down hundreds of feet via multiple levels. I used to explore them with friends when we were in college and some opened into huge "rooms" that were often 75-100' tall. They are interesting to explore if you use a little common sense.

The leftover asphalt on a few sections of the trails actually creates more problems than you'd expect since where the asphalt is, the trails are extremely narrow and the leftover raised asphalt surface creates off-camber situations. Nothing serious but enough to rip soft tops if yours is still up as you're tipped over towards the jagged rock walls.

Doran and Odessa Canyons near Calico Ghost Town are well worth a trip or two, the terrain and canyons are pretty darned scenic.. with some decent rock crawling in a few parts. :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks for the pix. Reminds me of the good old days of wheeling on PUBLIC lands when I lived in CA. Oh how I miss those days. :( :crybaby2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.