Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hophead
77,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with the Pierce electric winches? The specs on it seem pretty good and it sure has a decent price, just wondering if they are worth a flip. Did a search and only found infor on the worm drive winches.

Specifications:
8000 lb. Transfer Winch
Power In & Out
Clutch for Free Spooling
3.6 Horse Power Motor
3 Stage Planetary Gears (210 to 1)
Integrated Solenoid Pack
No Load Line Speed 14.7 FPM
Shipping weight- 85 lbs
Includes Roller Guide
15' Remote Control
Clevis Hook
Mounting Plate
One Year Warranty
$550.00

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I had a Pierce 12.5k years ago. Worm gear, indestructible, but slow. Assuming the build quality of their other stuff is on par with the 12.5k, it's bombproof... but slow. The 12.5 seemed like it'd pull the world, if you gave it enough time.

·
Hophead
77,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hayraker said:
good and slow, but good..........................................and slow.
Damn I see what you mean. Just compared it to a WArn in line speed..holy shit!! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Don't listen to the Warn only" drones :shaking:

Yes, line speed is a concern - but even that depends. I ran a Ramsey REP8000 with about the same line speed (somewhere around 16 fpm) and yes, it was slow. But it was not unbearably slow - and it got the job done.

I mean come on - if you are stuck, and not in a competition, what does it really matter if it takes you 3 minutes to do a loaded pull 15 feet or so? You are gonna likely take longer than that to get out, get out the controller, find something to hook to, pull out your gloves, etc. In the scope of the process for a general trail ride - does 3 minutes REALLY matter?

If you want a "deal" on a winch, pick up the $399 Ramsey 8000...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Unless you have 125 feet of cable out, and you have to stand there for almost 8 minutes reeling cable in. and there are 3 trucks ahead of you that had to do the same. They are really slow. You could do what I did and keep looking around and buy a used Warn 8274. I bought mine for $350, then spend $50 for 175 feet of cable from a local supply house. Now I have lots of cable, fast line speed, for the same price as a new REP8000.

Oops, can you even fit 125 feet of cable on a rep8000?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Madmarx said:
Unless you have 125 feet of cable out, and you have to stand there for almost 8 minutes reeling cable in. and there are 3 trucks ahead of you that had to do the same. They are really slow. You could do what I did and keep looking around and buy a used Warn 8274. I bought mine for $350, then spend $50 for 175 feet of cable from a local supply house. Now I have lots of cable, fast line speed, for the same price as a new REP8000.

And just how often do you need 125 ft of cable out? :confused:

IIRC - the REP8000 comes with 100ft, and I can say I never had more than half that unspooled on any pull - most pulls were under 40ft.

·
Hophead
77,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Madmarx said:

Where in the hell does everybody find these deals on used winches????? A buddy of mine just traded $200 of electrical work for a Ramsey..I want to kill him!! :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I used their winches exclusively in years past and had excellent reliability and service. I live ~ 60 miles south of them and any time I had a problem, they either handed me a part over the counter free of charge or shipped it to me. They are a family home owned operation and their prices are very reasonable.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Joe, hang around on ebay long enough. Buy the ugliest, nastiest looking 8274. That's what I did for $200.

Add $120 to replace all of the seals and convert to new style brake (old one was seized): $120 from www.dsiwarn.com

Rebuild via BillaVistas article: $0, just time.

Synthetic rope from Rockstomper: A tad over $100 on a group buy.

Total? $~400 for a practically INDUSTRIAL DUTY winch with synthetic cable that is 5 times faster spooling the cable in than the winch you posted. (73.4 vs. 14.7 @ no load).

DRM, harp on the "line speed doesn't matter" all you want. I had a tough little winch that's margianlly faster than your ramsey (superwinch X9) and I just plain got tired of waiting for it. Maybe it's becuase wheeling in Memphis means at least half a dozen winch pulls per trail ride, unless it was wet out... but I just grew to hate it.

On the other hand, maybe it's just because your truck has been down so long you've forgotten what it's like to wheel. :flipoff2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts