Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily driver is a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 liter V8. I hit some debris in the road and it punched a pin hole in the bottom of the oil pan. I won't get a chance to get a good look at it until tomorrow. Is there an inexpensive alternative to sealing the hole instead of replacing the pan?

A quick internet search says a replacement pan is about $300, which I would rather avoid spending if possible.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
JB Weld and a penny. (unless you plan on dragging it across shit all the time)

·
What did you expect?
12,766 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have never had any luck. I had a pinhole in my sbc oil pan and it was off the car. I sanded, cleaned with brakeclean. J b welded 2 layers. After that I used a thick coat of fiberglass reinforced bondo. Then 2 coats of regular bondo then sanded and coated in cheap truck bed liner (i think it was duplicolor. Might as well used black paint) but oil found its way threw in 9 months. So motors got to come out again to put a new pan on.

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Long ago I "fixed" a pinhole in a brass carb float on the chevy pickup with a VERY small screw I found amongst the crap behind the seat.

Got me home, and I drove it like that for months before tearing the carb apart again to replace with a plastic float. When I pulled the brass float out it was still holding.

Just a thought. Got screw? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Some high heat rtv, the. Red/orange stuff, smother a small sheet metal screw in it, drive it in barely tight, then cover the thing with a finger full of the same rtv. With the pan properly drained/prepped of coarse, it wont ever leak.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
you can weld it if youre good. only problem is oil likes to go towards the heat so its on the bottom its gonna suck. ive always had great luck with jb weld doing rusty pans, maybe with the rot after you grind it down it gives it a good bonding suface

·
Registered
363 Posts
1. You probably need an oil change anyways.
2.Wire wheel, Blow gun and brake cleaner.
3. epoxygator.com - steel stick

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
this is an aluminum pan, so if there is a hole, it is also probably cracked, get a new pan. is it worth risking vs the price of a new engine?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
To R&R that pan is only 3.0 hours in the book. Once the differential is out, it is a piece of cake.

Even though the gaskets are supposed to be reusable, I always get a new one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts