Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9" rear axle (very capable off-road beast) I drive daily on the highway (35 miles to work oneway) above 70mph.

My driveshaft angle is 25° (from horizontal) and my pinion angle is 28° resulting in a postive 3°. I have not been able to find a 5° shim so if you had to choose between a 4° shim resulting in a negative 1° or a 6° shim resulting in a negative 3° correction which would you choose and why?

Thx...Paul

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
This is the wrong section to post this in Paul. For future reference, put questions like this in non hardcore.

Answer to your question in my opinion is non of the above. I would cut perches, set the angle and weld some new ones in there.

Personally I am not a fan of shims, due to their tendency to snap and spit out from between the spring and perch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the wrong section to post this in Paul. For future reference, put questions like this in non hardcore.

Answer to your question in my opinion is non of the above. I would cut perches, set the angle and weld some new ones in there.

Personally I am not a fan of shims, due to their tendency to snap and spit out from between the spring and perch.
Thx, its been a while since I've been on these boards but I wanted advice from those with professional experience. :grinpimp:

I won't have time to do it right and weld in some new perches until Christmas break so what I'm looking for the best quick fix. The shims I'm talking about will be hard steel and bolted to the spring pack so they won't spit out. Besides, I won't be going hardcore off-roading again till the next Easter Jeep Safari.

So again, which would be better a negative 1° or a negative 3° correction and why.

Thx...Paul

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Is this a CV, or a 2 joint standard shaft?

In an ideal world you want your angles to cancel with or without a CV.

If it’s a 2 joint, then you want to match the amount of angle coming off the output, to the angle coming off the pinion. You need to subtract the angle of your re output to get an accurate operating driveshaft angle.

If it’s a CV then 1-5 degrees below on the pinion, depending on where it likes to run.

I would try the -3 first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this a CV, or a 2 joint standard shaft?

In an ideal world you want your angles to cancel with or without a CV.

If it’s a 2 joint, then you want to match the amount of angle coming off the output, to the angle coming off the pinion. You need to subtract the angle of your re output to get an accurate operating driveshaft angle.

If it’s a CV then 1-5 degrees below on the pinion, depending on where it likes to run.

I would try the -3 first.
It's a CV and thx...I'll go with the -3, appreciate the advice. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts