Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Extended Member
7,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a wicked noise on neutral and decel in the back. in the air, i was certain it was pinion bearings. well new bearings and the noise is still there.... its almost a groaning. rear shaft is a regular ujoint shaft, pinion is a few degrees below pointed directly at the t-case. ujoints are tight...

what am i overlooking?:(

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
What kinda rig ? With the angles you have it appears you need a c/v - that way the diff angle does not need to cancel anything . This is a common thing this kind of noise with angles over 8 degree's on any one joint . If you want call I can explian in more detail - 530-877-2875 Jess

·
Registered
508 Posts
What are your U-joint operating angles? Is the trans/T-case output parallel with the pinion?

What I found (last night in fact) was that even if they are parallel, the operating angle can still cause vibs if too much. Jess mentioned 8 degrees. I've seen others recommend 7 degrees as max operating angle. I had a vib issue with 9 degrees, changed it to 3 degrees and no more vib. Everything was parallel and set-up correctly otherwise.

I'd start by measuring the angles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts