Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing an SAS on my 88 Toy, the axle is from an 88 Waggy. I have removed the knuckles, but am waiting to reinstall them untill I get the perches and driveline angles nailed down. Someone on another board expressed concern that my pinion was rotated too far and would cause oiling problems on the pinion bearing. The output is pointing at the transfer case.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
You should go a couple of degrees lower then the t-case. Oiling should not be an issue, I've seen worse on rear axles that are used to drive to and from the trail. Just make sure you have all the weight on vehicle on the front end.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I agree, it'll be fine. The only time the bearing needs oiling is when things are spinning and when they are, there is oil flying all over the inside the diff. A couple of degrees down from "straight at the t-case" and you're set.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jdjanda said:
You should go a couple of degrees lower then the t-case. Oiling should not be an issue, I've seen worse on rear axles that are used to drive to and from the trail. Just make sure you have all the weight on vehicle on the front end.

Thanks. I think I actually set it a couple degrees higher than the case, so I may just grind the tacks and drop it a little. My primary concern is the oiling. However, if rear axles are being done that way, I would think it would work fine. The ring gear should throw some oil at the pinion when in motion as well, shouldn't it?

The weight of the vehicle is on the springs in that shot.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rockota said:
I'm confused...

Is the pic flipped or this a Driver's side drop axle? If so, what are you using for a tcase?

It's a driver side drop, the drivetrain is from a 95 Explorer.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
jdjanda said:
Being a front axle, shouldn't this be a couple of *'s above the t-case?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
JeepinIan said:

Being a front axle, shouldn't this be a couple of *'s above the t-case?
From what I can tell the front is shackle forward, under compression the front axle is going to swing up toward the t-case, if you point the axle a couple degree's higher you might severely bind the d-line. It's hard to say what exact path the axle may take under compression with lift springs and the front fixed spring mount higher then the shackle mount. A few degrees down is safer then a few degrees up.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Another thing to note about oiling is that even if you drive it in 2wd to the trail, oil will slosh around before you put power to it, so the bearings will be fine.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
It's a front axle, why worry about oiling and angles since you probably won't be driving it on the street with the hubs locked for hours at a time. The ring gear will sling oil everwhere.

Now, are your spring perches at the same level? Looks like the driver perch is higher than the passenger side by the thickness of the diff housing. Are you going to shim the pass side spring?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric said:
It's a front axle, why worry about oiling and angles since you probably won't be driving it on the street with the hubs locked for hours at a time. The ring gear will sling oil everwhere.

Now, are your spring perches at the same level? Looks like the driver perch is higher than the passenger side by the thickness of the diff housing. Are you going to shim the pass side spring?

I wasn't too worried about the oiling, I just thought I'd double check. Glad to hear the consensus is that I'm worrying too much and should STFU and build it allready. :D

The perches are off, as you noticed. It's about 1/4" difference, I plan to just weld a 1/4" plate to the short side and drill for the center pin.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
84 Sheepdog said:
If your worried about it getting enough oil, you can park on an incline or rotate it while it is out and then fill it....

Yep. I was thinking I would do that anyway, it doesn't hurt it to give it a little extra oil.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now, do I want it pointing higher or lower than the t-case? The shackles are in the rear. The shackle hangers are lower than the front mount, as noted allready.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
With it turned up that much i would move the fill plug up though to get the oil level at least back up to where it should be. When you turn the pinion up it turns the fill plug down so you loose oil capacity.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Or use a diff cover for a HP 44. I did this when I had a scout 44 rear rotated up, used the HP cover for the higher fill plug and more oil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts