Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the 8.8 into SOA YJ swap over the weekend. And I'm trying to get a general consesus on people who have done this.

1. What was you front D30 pinion angle
2. What did you regret about the build (Read: What did you wish you had done differently, what specialty things did you whish you had bought before hand, etc)

Remember that I'm in college so I'm doing most of this swap with basic hand/air tools, no torch, and getting the gears/perches setup and welded professionally.

·
Registered
696 Posts
1-You shouldn't mess with the front end. YJ's have the HPD30 so the pinion angle isn't nearly as important as cator, which you will be messing with by messing with your front pinion angle.

2-No regrets. I also swapped in 4.10's from 3.55's and it made the Jeep a bit more driveable. All in all, well worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
768 Posts
As far as the D30 goes, use an angle finder to determine the current caster. Ad 3 deg caster (ie. the pinion will rotate down) for final set up. The only other way to do it would be cut off the steering knuckles and weld them back on at the proper caster - a lot more involved.

You will need more than wrenches to do this job. Some fab/welding is involved.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Are you asking this question to help you adjust where the spring perches should be on the D30 for SOA setup??

I wouldn't adjust the perch placement based on the pinion angle.

You should look more closely at your CASTER (knuckle rotation) and not worry so much about pinion angle. Your front driveshaft isn't turning during normal everyday 2wd usage (unless you have a fulltime locker up front).

The PROPER and ideal way of setting up your front end - is to remove the knuckles off the axle tubes and rotate the pinion and the knuckles where they need to be before placeing the perches on the tubes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No what i'm saying is that I've read, if you keep the front pinion angle the same, then the caster does not change. So what i want to do is weld the new D30 spring perches on at an angle so that i receive no bump steer, death wobble, etc.

Is this incorrect that if i measure the pinion angle SUA and then replicate it SOA the caster will be unchanged.? How do i set the perch angle?

·
Registered
654 Posts
take a level, rotate your pumpkin until it is level and then take the angle finder and measure the SUA perches. Take that measurement and rotate it 180* and - from 360, that should give you your angle for the SOA perches

·
Registered
768 Posts
You are correct that if you mount the new ones parallel to the old ones you will retain the same caster, but you really should ADD about 3 degrees of caster. With the larger tires you will be running the extra caster will help you bring them back to center and not have you wandering all over the road.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You'll have steering issues unless you go with the M.O.R.E. kit,the draglink will hit the spring when you turn.M.O.R.E. kit puts the draglink above the spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts