Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be completely incompitant cause I fawked her up 2 ways swapping pinion yokes. I set her up with 14in/lbs preload(I thought). After 30mins on the highway the housing was hot enough I couldnt hold my hand on it for more than a second or so. So I did what any ******* would do and pulled off to the side of the freeway and backed the pinion nut off a half turn. :flipoff2: 2 hours of freeway after that the housing was running around 105 degrees(vary hot jacuzzi temp). lol. Do I pull her apart and try to do it right again? or does 105 sound about the correct temp?

Pulled the cover when I got home, no burnt fluid or nothing.

Also the new pinion seal doesnt seem to be working well? Did I melt the last one? It didnt look like there was much to fawk up with the seal.

Charlo

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
if im not mistaken the crush collar is a one shot deal if you tighten it to tight and want to loosen the preload you have to get a new crush collar (its not like a spring) when you say 14 in/lbs this is rotational effort(it takes 14in/lbs to spin the pinnion)?How much torque to tightn the pinnion nut (cause when I did my 14bolt I used a 12x1 multiplier and a 1/2 in ratchet to tighten until the preload was correct)
just a few thoughts?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took 14in/lbs to turn pinion, took about 105 ft/lbs to tighten pinion nut. Reading was from a torque wrench that did 0-50in/lbs.

I tried to half ass it and didnt replace crush sleeve. I guess next i will replace crush sleeve.

How do I convert in/lbs to ft/lbs?
Whats a multiplier do?

Charlo

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
the first time I did mine I tried to cheat and start the crush collar "crushing" in a press but I pressed to far and screwed up them I used a new CC and a multiplier (12-1 means it takes 12 times less effort to tighten something)(it works like a planetary gear set in a auto trans it has a 1/2 input for a ratchet or torque wrench and a 3/4 out put for a socket)any way 105 ft lbs sounds a little low I was told that it takes almost 450ft lbs for the CC to start crushing?(Again I was told this maybe some one will quote manual spec)any way I tightned the nut while moving the retainer up and down (so I could tell when the bearings started to seat in there races)then while spining the bearings(and retianer)I tightned the nut untill I had the correct preload

1 - 5 of 5 Posts