Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying ot figure out if there is a way to install a pinion brake on my 40 series axles. I know people do it on rockwells, and others, but what about a regular 40 series axle?? What all is involved?? Don't know much about brakes.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Question is why? You could always put a brake on the tcase for an emergency brake. I think it would be easier to run some regular monte carlo disk brakes on the rear.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Why do you need it? Unlike a rockwell where it is needed and high up out of the way, it seems counterproductive, but you could do it... Also, withthe reputation of a pinion weakpoint, it would suck to have a pinion break on you...cause you would not have brakes...

The rotor would have to be fairly big to make it work(like the size of the front rotors). Calipers would have to mounted to some fairly complex brackets, since there is little to bolt onto right near the pinion...

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what I was curious about...I am about to do rear discs but just wanted to see if anyone had thought about this. apparently I will be going with the monte carlo discs as soon as I get enough cash to buy them.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
John,

I have a friend that has a FJ40 rear axle with disk brakes and
a Lockright installed. He wants 550.00 for the axle. That is a steal.

email me for info if you're interested. I'll be up in Arkansas next week and I could bring it back to Dallas for you.

Here is the ad for the axles..
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105274

Charles

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just need to collect the actual brake parts, I have the brackets (have had 'em for about a year, but a few other things have happened). I also have an ARB rear already installed....thanks for the offers though. I hope to have my stuff together by next month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.