Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When installing new gears the first thing is to find the pinion depth.
My question is does the pinion nut have to be fully tighten to the correct torque specs in order to find the pinion depth?

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I assume you are working on a Dana dif?
You assemble as normal, but don't crush the crush sleeve.

You can tell how tight to tighten it by the bearing preload. If you can't spin the pinion with your hand it is too tight.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be working on a dana 30 HP front end and I will be installing new gears. Going from 3.55 to 4.88 Yukon gears.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
You measure the pinion depth by pattern on the gears.
I put some tips on the suzuki section that will help. I'll see if I can pull them up.

I set them up without the crush sleeve and torque to get a good feel on the pinion bearing preload.

BTW, new or used gears?
the new ones have good instructions in the box

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
roknxj said:
I will be working on a dana 30 HP front end and I will be installing new gears. Going from 3.55 to 4.88 Yukon gears.

There is no crush sleeve on the XJ HP30. Grind an old cup on the inner pinion bearing so you can remove by hand to change the shims. Start with same shims as you have now, assemble without any pinion preload shims and tighten the pinion nut until there is a slight resistance. Make sure the backlash is within specs and run the pattern. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BlueAngel said:
There is no crush sleeve on the XJ HP30. Grind an old cup on the inner pinion bearing so you can remove by hand to change the shims. Start with same shims as you have now, assemble without any pinion preload shims and tighten the pinion nut until there is a slight resistance. Make sure the backlash is within specs and run the pattern. Repeat as necessary.
I was thinking in the same line thanks. You guys are great. Well I recieved my gears today via ups now all I need to do is wait for the master setup kit and then I start working on the axle. If I need help I will sure be asking.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SilverZuk:
The gears are new and I have downloaded the Yukon install process from the web. Thanks for your advise.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
How Are You Measuring The Pinion Depth?? That Is The First Place To Start . If You Do Not Have A Depth Tool Then You Have To Do The OLD Trial And Error Method. Start With The Same Shim It Had And Check Pattern. If You Have The Randy's Tool (we Make This Here At Work For Them) I Can Help You Out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts