Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post a few pics of our buggy build . We also have a reverse trike and an exo street vehicle in process at this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Sweet looking build!!! Can we get some shots of the cantilever suspension?:smokin:

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
I love the outline, but some of the brace tubes look kind of off? Can't quite place it. Suspension looks cool. What is it? About a 10" coilover at 2:1?
What size are the links? They look small.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
coils

they are 9" shocks at a 2.4 ratio. Sitting on 250# frt springs and 175# rears for now, will have to go to a 2 stage spring when finished.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tubes

if you are talking about windshield tube-gonna have slanted winshield.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cantilever

these show a little more of the cantilever

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
what are you using for a pivot on the bellcrank? Spring bushings, uniball?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bell crank

2 bearings in each one

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
if you are talking about windshield tube-gonna have slanted winshield.
Nope. These ones(in red). Just seem to terminate at an unsupported section and not follow the rest of the lines. No matter how cool the rest of the tube work is, my eyes keep wandering to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tubes

the lower section where the tube terminated is an I beam--very well supported. As far as rhe angle goes-did what looks right to me and I think it flows well, might be a visual thing -have to see it in person.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shocks

couple main reasons 1) 9" shock is much cheaper than a full length coil over and 2) with the cantilever a 9" shock will yield a lot of wheel travel

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
pictures

maybe these pics are better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
worst forward visability in a rig ever. and i see your cantilever links failing VERY quickly.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
couple main reasons 1) 9" shock is much cheaper than a full length coil over and 2) with the cantilever a 9" shock will yield a lot of wheel travel
add to that cost the cost of the bearings, the fab work for those arms and linkages, the extra heims, i bet this ends up costing more... and will be much harder to tune/valve the coilover as well in this configuation, when damping and rates are being levered against by the motion ratio...
to each their own

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
add to that cost the cost of the bearings, the fab work for those arms and linkages, the extra heims, i bet this ends up costing more... and will be much harder to tune/valve the coilover as well in this configuation, when damping and rates are being levered against by the motion ratio...
to each their own
That's what I was thinking as well plus all the extra weight added to the chassis... meh.

Imagine how noisy that linkage is going to get down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
i really liked the lines of it in the first 2 pics, but then the front got WAAAAYYYY too long and tall, and it just seems there's alot of extra tube for no real reason. i'll be interested to see how that suspension works for you, since i'm sure we wheel the same places.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts