Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are fixing to head back to illinois to mash green headed mallards. i do not travel without my piece. the only state we have a problem with is illinois. i have read somewhere that if you are traveling from point a to point b and a you pass through unfriendly territory you can have a weapon as long as the your final destination is friendly. is this correct or did i read something incorrect. you cannot even bring a pistol into illinois. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your answer is no. Once you cross the state line you fall under the laws of the state you are in. Unless of course you are a commissioned LE officer.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
In theory, you are correct.

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION
OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners` Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.
Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an "affirmative defense" that may only be raised after an arrest. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit has also recently held that FOPA`s protections only apply while the firearm is not readily accessible to the traveler, and that a firearm is readily accessible during a hotel stay.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
In theory.... yes. In reality? Not so much. If you were caught violating their "laws", the ensuing hassle will not be worth your it. Just accommodate their bullshit and get the hell out of that state as quick as possible... unless youre a billionaire with lawyers in youre pocket and are going with the sole purpose of challenging that law to get it stricken from the books.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
we are fixing to head back to illinois to mash green headed mallards. i do not travel without my piece. the only state we have a problem with is illinois. i have read somewhere that if you are traveling from point a to point b and a you pass through unfriendly territory you can have a weapon as long as the your final destination is friendly. is this correct or did i read something incorrect. you cannot even bring a pistol into illinois. any help is appreciated.
The Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act supposedly guarantees you the right to travel through unfriendly territory. Your firearm had best be properly secured though, that means unloaded and locked in a container inaccessible to you while you are in the vehicle.

And be prepared to have your anus violated, should you get stopped in unfriendly territory. Many of the states hostile to firearms (New York is notorious for this) will arrest you anyway. You may or may not have the resources to fight this arrest, based on the protections afforded to you by the FOPA. Even if you have the resources, the local courts may not agree with you, despite the pretty clear wording of the federal law.

The short answer is: Its not worth it.

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
Buy a medium sized pelican case and padlock. The small ones scream "pistol".

Keep it locked and in your trunk while in Il. Do not consent to a search if you are pulled over, do not open the case. Keep your mouth shut.

These simple rules will help 99% of the time, the other 1% is a Rodney King beatdown regardless if everthing else is in order.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
When I was traveling by air ( checking my pistol). I was told I couldn't even connect THRU Illinois to my final destination due to there fucked up laws.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
When I was traveling by air ( checking my pistol). I was told I couldn't even connect THRU Illinois to my final destination due to there fucked up laws.
Not sure where you got that, maybe Airline specific policy?

I was just at midway (dropping off someone) (SouthWest) over thanksgiving weekend and saw signs at check-in to the extent of "all firearms must be declared, unloaded, inspected, in a locked case during check in" or about 20 sentences to that effect :D I think there was an arrow with a special line near the security screening guys that go though locked bags while you watch.

:usa:

·
Banned
4,510 Posts
I travel a LOT and when I go through a unfriendly state i just lock it in a carrying case. I grew up in MI and when I go home to visit I drive through the UP to avoid the commie shithole that is IL.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Fawk, just realized my vacation endpoint is Connecticut and I will pass through NJ and NY with a trip into NYC and DC on the way. Soo I guess I'll have to bring a wet blanket. Not much else will be allowed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
bring me my trailer back mothrfuckle :mad3:
F' your road trip.
D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts