Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if anybody actually make one or not. But, I'm using the smallest grease gun harbor freight has with a thin grease that has no option for grease tubes. It works like shit because the grease keeps bypassing the piston.

Do they make a grease gun without a piston? Something preferably non powered?

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I dunno if anybody actually make one or not. But, I'm using the smallest grease gun harbor freight has with a thin grease that has no option for grease tubes. It works like shit because the grease keeps bypassing the piston.

Do they make a grease gun without a piston? Something preferably non powered?
You did take the piston out and flip the lip for the cup seal around right? If you don't do that before using without a tube then it will bypass the cup seal.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how a grease gun without a piston would work...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Snap-On (& probably others) makes a grease gun that will work with a standard cardboard cartridge, or without. It has a soft-lipped piston that will compress into the cardboard tube, or will also expand to form a seal with the gun's own barrel (which is what I think you mean by "pistonless"). It can also be filled by a standard grease pump through the top, but you could dump your thin grease into the barrel (same as hand-filling) to solve your issue.

Best of all: it has a pistol grip, so you only need 1 hand to pump the grease - the other is free to keep the tip connected to the fitting. Mine is a YA733A, but it looks like the current model is YA734A.
http://store.snapon.com/Manual-Grease-Guns-Gun-Grease-Pistol-Grip-P640760.aspx

This one looks similar...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKSNGC/

This is a smaller version:
http://store.snapon.com/Manual-Grea...-Grip-3-oz-Capacity-8-1-4-nozzle-P635834.aspx

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
On a side note..........why does my Lincoln gun constantly drip oil?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got this lil gem floating g around my shop. Its older than me for sure. Its not piston less but not made for a cartridge.

·
Read Only
VerticalScope Sucks
22,735 Posts
On a side note..........why does my Lincoln gun constantly drip oil?
The grease is separating and the oil component of it is bypassing the shitty piston seal and dripping out.

Hang it upside down and it *might* not leak.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
The grease is separating and the oil component of it is bypassing the shitty piston seal and dripping out.

Hang it upside down and it *might* not leak.

Can I upgrade or replace the seal?

I can hang up upside down, but the second I go to use it, it will leak and drip everywhere!!

It was a fairly expensive Lincoln from NAPA.........not that old either

·
Read Only
VerticalScope Sucks
22,735 Posts
Can I upgrade or replace the seal?

I can hang up upside down, but the second I go to use it, it will leak and drip everywhere!!

It was a fairly expensive Lincoln from NAPA.........not that old either
Changing grease types is an easier option, if you can do that :laughing:

The Lincoln guns, while the gold standard for grease guns, seem to be one of the worse guns for that. I've had good luck with some shitty NAPA branded guns; I think the seal on them swells. The grease we use (only approved grease) is really bad for separating and in general isn't a very good grease.

If it comes in a plastic tube you might be able to flip the piston seal, like you would for using grease out of a bucket, it should tighten it up a bit... Or it may just stick in the tube and be totally useless.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I really hope I don't have to change grease :shaking:

I bought a box of 36 tubes of Mobil 1 red synthetic 2-3 years ago for only $10

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I really hope I don't have to change grease :shaking:

I bought a box of 36 tubes of Mobil 1 red synthetic 2-3 years ago for only $10
Just hang your grease gun in a 5 gallon bucket with the handle sticking out and the gun body in the bucket. Use the bucket to store old funnels or something else greasy in too.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Just hang your grease gun in a 5 gallon bucket with the handle sticking out and the gun body in the bucket. Use the bucket to store old funnels or something else greasy in too.
Good idea, but between my truck and my tractor, there will come a point in time when the grease gun will need to be pointed in a direction that the plunger is pointed towards the ground, thus leaking again

·
Registered
889 Posts
why does my Lincoln gun constantly drip oil?
Because you put oily grease in it, and you store it in a hot shop.

What do I win? :grinpimp:

Put the DRIPPY end in the bucket so it's always nearly dry when you go to use it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts