Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am currently in the process of doing a one ton axle swap in my 93 YJ. I am looking for a stronger pitman arm that is flat and will bolt up to the stock yj steering box. I believe that an older wagneer pitman arm will work. Just not sure on the years. Just wondering if you guys have anything like this, or have ever heard of this being done. thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pretty much any Grand wagoneer pitman arm will work. All the ones I have seen are long, flat and will bolt up to your YJ. The one is mine is from a 1991.

·
Registered
850 Posts
that looks like a stock CJ pitman arm. that could be another cheap option for ya.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I've got a few other problems to tackle.

wfoconcepts
Looks like they do custom ones too and modify them for your steering ends.
So the wagoneer already mounts to the YJ steering box, what about the rod end, you're saying that can make that whatever size you'd like?

·
Registered
850 Posts
high5, cut off that track bar mount and get a stock YJ pitman arm. then see where you stand.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
high5, cut off that track bar mount and get a stock YJ pitman arm. then see where you stand.
I moved the axle forward a little bit, but apparently too much. The steering on the d60 was a little closer than I thought it would be. but a stock YJ arm is still going to be on top of the tie rod correct me if I'm wrong, the dropped one just drops it.

What I need to do is either push the axle back 1.5" or so or move the steering box forward.

I think I might do a M.O.R.E. Shackle reversal and get 1.5" out of that, it will end up being a little more for me.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i would try a stock pitman arm before spending a bunch of money that might present even more problems for you in the long run. but then again it might not...who knows.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Well what I'm figuring is that I need to lift the front a little over 2 inches more. I already stretched the front by cutting the hangars and moving them forward. If I get the SRS system from them, it will lift the front around 2" and also take it close to it's stock position moving it back 2" or so. So I might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Even a stock YJ arm is going to have the drag link almost sitting on top of the tie rod. Using a Waggy arm will make it even worse since it is a longer arm. You are almost to the point where you could consider the Astro Van box. I think you moved your front end forward 3 inches, and I think the Astro Van box is ideal in the 4"-6" stretch range. You might be a little on the low side of the figure, but it could be another option for you. I am running a MORE shackle reverse and 2" springs SOA up front with my 60 and it looks like I will have 0 clearance issue with the hi-steer I am going to run.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Even a stock YJ arm is going to have the drag link almost sitting on top of the tie rod. Using a Waggy arm will make it even worse since it is a longer arm. You are almost to the point where you could consider the Astro Van box. I think you moved your front end forward 3 inches, and I think the Astro Van box is ideal in the 4"-6" stretch range. You might be a little on the low side of the figure, but it could be another option for you. I am running a MORE shackle reverse and 2" springs SOA up front with my 60 and it looks like I will have 0 clearance issue with the hi-steer I am going to run.
I think what I'm going to end up doing is building my own shackle reversal so it's the height I want. Plus I figure I'll save something like $220! :D

I'll move the axle back around 1.5-2" close to it's stock location.

Remove the fenders completely.

And build a little armor.

Kinda like what this guy did:

(Hope you enjoyed the paint shop! :flipoff2:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bent 2 of those pitman arms from teamgrandwagoneer and broke another. They definatley represent the "You get what you pay for" saying. I got what should be my last one I'll ever have to buy from Sams Offroad. It's stupid beefy. They have 2 types and you can get them already drilled for a tre or you can get a blank end. I got a blank arm with out the tie rod hole or the powdercoating. I drilled it for a heim and made it the length I needed and trimmed off the extra. These are about 3/4" thick and are A36 cold rolled steel.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
That's pretty cool.

Anyone know what size the Tre is for the YJ Stock pitman arm, and the size that would go into a stock D60 tierod?

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Check my build thread in my signature. The second one down. It covers me putting a front HP60 in my 93 YJ. I ended up using a stock OEM YJ pitman arm reamed out for Chevy 3/4 ton TRE's. I did this to match everything up. The stock OEM TRE at the YJ pitman arm has a metric thread size, and NO one makes bungs for that application.

I ended up moving my front axle forward 2 inches and still was able to keep my stock box location. I didn't want to mess with box relocations or an astro box because Im planning full hydro.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
GM 1 Ton (Drag Length End 3/4 to 5/8 Taper

This is the size you're talking about?

Because I'm wanting to go from a YJ pitman arm:

To the tierod. That's how the it was setup on the chevy I took it off of.

Or should I just drill them and run hiems?

·
Registered
850 Posts
since you are doing a shackle reversal, it might be cheaper to buy some XJ type shackles. then cut out some of the bottom of your frame and drill a hole through for the shackle. that will also save you some height as well.

edit: it looks like you would have room to mount your tie rod above the springs, under the high arm.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Right, but I want to keep my steering high. So it's out of the way.

is the stock YJ arm flat or does it z a little bit?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts