Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently building exhaust for a small toyota based buggy with a V8 and links. Im running ram horns with a y pipe that goes under the oil pan and then back down the drivers side. I'm to the middle of the subframe and its tight, I think I can fit a dynomax race bullet in there but I'm not real sure where to route the exhaust from there. Im thinking about dumping it off right behind the subframe and where the rear links begin. Just concerned about 1. Fumes and 2. How loud its going to be for an all day ride. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
if it helps, my truggy had duals that dumped right at the back of the cab (xcab) and the sound still got trapped enough to be loud when tooling around on the trails. too much drone.

hurt at the end of the day sometimes.

my buggy is louder, but exits out the back so no big deal

never an issue with fumes though

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my buggy is louder, but exits out the back so no big deal
Do you have a pic from the back looking forward? I need some ideas for inspiration because I'm drawing a blank. I want to keep it all tucked up high but not where I'm sitting on top of it.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I ran an 18" Magnaflow similar to the race bullet all the way out the back on my SC3800. It was annoyingly loud, and borderline impossible to hear my spotter. I built the belly 5" wider on my new buggy just to fit a real muffler. I hear the Flowmaster hushpower isn't too bad for noise for being so small.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this pic will disappear (Facebook copy) but here is what I'm working with.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Does anyone sell a short resonator? I don't have very many (if any) long straight stretches in front of the flex coupler. Im thinking of adding a hoop to the upper link crossmember and running the exhaust thru that, then I could exit out the rear. Then I could add a resonator behind the flex and a muffler behind the upper links.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Does anyone sell a short resonator? I don't have very many (if any) long straight stretches in front of the flex coupler. Im thinking of adding a hoop to the upper link crossmember and running the exhaust thru that, then I could exit out the rear. Then I could add a resonator behind the flex and a muffler behind the upper links.
What size pipe? Can you move the flex coupler forward and put the resonator right there?

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
that is a good link :smokin: breaks it down to an easy to use resonator formula

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

LS motor, 3" into 3.5" pipe, flex pipe (mine is about half as long as yours there...maybe get a 6" one so you have more room to build pipe where you need it) right at the front of the belly pan - into 1 mini bullet, then changes direction ever so slightly - into another mini bullet - dumps right out in front of my rear link.

it works well. It is not quiet by any means...but its not horrible either. WAY quieter than the bouncers. Fumes are non-existent. Heat is OK - there is a lot of heat shielding, and the whole thing is wrapped too, so it does fine. It was a tight fit...but this was a ton easier than running all the way out the back.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I just installed one of these last week on my 5.0 equipped Ranger:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-jr25/overview/

I was running a solo chambered bullet muffler and it was entirely too loud. The resonator quieted it down considerably. Hard to beat for $30

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
For fumes just get it behind the cab/compartment a few inches. I enjoyed wheeling my quiet buggy but it took a big muffler and lots of room to make it happen.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found a short cherry bomb at auto zone, going to add in another round muffler of some type down the side along side the upper links. Here is what I came up with. My ass is just going to get hot (I will wrap the exhaust) but at least the exhaust is up and out of the way.

Excuse the shitty tacks, they just flat out suck.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Do you have a pic from the back looking forward? I need some ideas for inspiration because I'm drawing a blank. I want to keep it all tucked up high but not where I'm sitting on top of it.
only one I could find

this is when we ran it all the way back and was much better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts