Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my Caddy developed a nasty rear main oil leak. No problem, I’ve replaced these before on Chevys. I pulled the seal and it was rock hard, so I thought easy enough. Wrong o

Fast forward, I’m now onto seal number three and for the life of me, I cannot get this thing to seal.

Only thing I haven’t done is offset it. MFG of the seal and the shop manual say to set it up flush with the block with no RTV joining the seal together. I have a new seal inbound from Best Gasket and will diving back in tomorrow. Journal is smooth and not grooved

I swear this must be a Caddy thing.

Any advice? 66’ Deville 429.

·
Registered
13,571 Posts
Not sure about Caddys but the Fords I have worked on we offset the seal so that it doesn't directly line up with the split in the cap and dab a little silicon on the ends

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Not sure about Caddys but the Fords I have worked on we offset the seal so that it doesn't directly line up with the split in the cap and dab a little silicon on the ends
Do that. And make sure the seal is oriented properly on the top and bottom.
I thought you knew this stuff.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
drain hole plugged up or absent?

dunno on the cadillac how shrouded the seal is, but if the drain hole's plugged with silicone the obvious will happen

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
i always offset and dab silicon anymore.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
And grease your crank first :D , always grease your crank otherwise it will burn your seal.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
Wyatt (bigwoodywag) and his dad have a bunch of caddi experience and LOTS of old caddi's and engines etc. He's Indashop on lots of other forums. I have his number if you can't get him other ways.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Wyatt (bigwoodywag) and his dad have a bunch of caddi experience and LOTS of old caddi's and engines etc. He's Indashop on lots of other forums. I have his number if you can't get him other ways.
I think this is already above my pay grade! I done the half moon seals numerous times, they suck but not as bad as a rope seal..
I think the lining up the hemispheres is important. And unless you've got some odd clog in the lifter gallery (huge stretch here), and you said your PCV is wide open. I dunno.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts