Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has a 60's era CJ5. Has 304 3 sp and manual steering. Used mostly on the street and has 31 inch tires. Minimal lift if any. He wants to keep the steering manual but make turning easier. He is looking to find a shorter pitman arm knowing it will slow the steering. Any suggestions on a doner vehicle for a pitman arm from the boneyard?

·
Registered
256 Posts
He really should convert to saginaw steering but for what he wants a bigger steering wheel would do the same thing.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I second what he said but if you do in fact want a new pitman then know this. The power steering pitmans have a larger sector shaft so they won't work on a manual box so go look at some really old cars and only look the ones with a manual box.

·
Premium Member
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, he is more than stubborn, I keep talking up cool mods, and he wants to stay with a manual box. and no lift. Fawker lives just outside of Salt Lake and doesn't want to even put in a 4 sp or anything else. Thanks for the tip on the sector shaft, If anyone has a make/model vehicle that might have an appropiate arm I would like to hear it.

·
Premium Member
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bobdog said:
Salt Lake is not as bad as you think you can find power steering parts and even 4 speeds here.
Nothing wrong with SLC, I hope to come out there and do some wheeling. The problem is my cousin is an idiot. I want to get him to beef the jeep up, and all he wants is for it to steer easier.:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts