Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I could just use a 4" drop arm from SJ, but I'd like something cheaper (used OEM if possible) and with a little less drop because I'm only running about 4-5" lift (and, hopefully, flexible springs).

What arms/applications can be used on a Dodge steering box? Do the TRE tapers differ?

I like the arm PJTPW used, but when he posted these pics (in this thread), he didn't know the application.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I was installing my crossover I pulled a few from a junkyard to try but none where index correctly for my box. In fact I think I pulled that exact one you have pictured. I then ordered one from ORD, it was a 1/2" too long to fit the draglink between my 1975 engine crossmember. '76 and later trucks my not have this trouble because of the wider member. I ended up getting the SJ arm and it works perfect with the bent draglink I got from ORD. BTW I have 5" lift and SJ softrides.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Mike440 said:
When I was installing my crossover I pulled a few from a junkyard to try but none where index correctly for my box.
Yep, they're indexed wrong. I took a triangle file and split the keyways in half and then you can index it any way you want.

I've tried to find out what it came off, to no avail.

BTW I reamed it out to take a 2026 end. It has a lot smaller hole factory.

Ryan

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That helps some. Does the factory Dodge drag link taper have the same diameter as GM TRE's or the GM drag link ends?

I thought they were the same as the GM drag link ends, but the GM TRE's are smaller (I thought), so I guess most use a GM drag link end on one end of the drag link and a GM TRE on the other end? I bought the ORD steering arm (tapered for a GM TRE) and I know the pitman ORD sells uses the same GM TRE. The pitman arm ORD sells for GM's will work on a Dodge box won't it?

I don't have a lot of time to get my chit together so I'm just trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes it works fine. Its extra 1/2" of length hits the engine x-member in my truck on full lock and I didnt want to trim the crossmember but in hind sight I think it would have been the best too use. Just a quick note , I still have the ORD pitman arm for sale cheap. Shipping may make it not a great option though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike440 said:
Just a quick note , I still have the ORD pitman arm for sale cheap. Shipping may make it not a great option though.
PM sent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts