Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m reconfiguring my front suspension and adding in some king bumps...

I’m using my old lower coil over mount at the new bump stop pad and am gonna make the pad have a small pivot feature to always be a flat impact... overkill maybe but a fun little thing to do..

Anyone ever see something similar? (Yep I searched and found nada..)

Pics of a mock up bump position and preliminary pivot bump pad

Should be burning these in tomorrow after some suspension cycling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
What is going to keep it square with the bump? How will it return to center? Say you hit the pad while it’s flexed out and it lays over, won’t it just stay at that 45ish degree angle? Not worried about wear on the bump itself from the landing pad flopping around? I’d also think it would rattle quite a bit. Maybe try and seat a small spring under each wing to help it return to flat and keep it from just flopping back and forth?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is going to keep it square with the bump? How will it return to center? Say you hit the pad while it’s flexed out and it lays over, won’t it just stay at that 45ish degree angle? Not worried about wear on the bump itself from the landing pad flopping around? I’d also think it would rattle quite a bit. Maybe try and seat a small spring under each wing to help it return to flat and keep it from just flopping back and forth?

Good thoughts

I keep the legs low... drop the pad height so there is only about 15 deg tilt left right...

As for the rattle.

I Tossed an 0.125 washer in the mix for a good bit of clearance during welding, so the bolt will be clamping it down heavy!

·
today
1,500 Posts
Good thoughts

I keep the legs low... drop the pad height so there is only about 15 deg tilt left right...

As for the rattle.

I Tossed an 0.125 washer in the mix for a good bit of clearance during welding, so the bolt will be clamping it down heavy!

so... fixed bump pad ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The issue i see with this design is that if you hit off center (off the pivot point) it's just going to cause the pad to rotate and your load will no longer be in line with the bump stop but rather side loading the bump stop. I anticipate that this will bend the shaft of the bump stop eventually

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
The issue i see with this design is that if you hit off center (off the pivot point) it's just going to cause the pad to rotate and your load will no longer be in line with the bump stop but rather side loading the bump stop. I anticipate that this will bend the shaft of the bump stop eventually

I agree 100% with your side loading theory. There is a reason nobody does this......

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

I also agree with this statement as well as the issues I raised in my first post.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I ended up canning this idea.

Due to a clearance issue at full droop, I had to move the bump can back an inch and it is no longer inline with the bolted position...

Basic flat bump pad... boring

Bumps have 0 PSI in the pic :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts