Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, I believe it's a samurai lock rite and they machine it and/or the carrier to get it to fit.

I hear ya, I didn't realize the whole diff assembly was aluminum when I bought it.

Next thing I would suggest is these

Maxxis Carnivore Radial Tire 29x9.5-15 for Arctic Cat 700 TRV LTD 2013-2015 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QNJLJ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mxfoDbAXGY97D

I have the 32s and the traction is impressive, the 29s should fit with a lot let drama.
I like the ATV tires. I think I will have to get a second set of wheels that are 15's (with less backspacing to clear the brakes) and so I don't have to run the ATV tires on the street. Hmmm, now I just need to find some cheap ones :evil:

definitely do the maxxis carnivores over the stiff bias TSL's.

but go with the 30x10r15 :grinpimp::grinpimp:
Good point. I didn't think about the TSL's being stiff. I was more impressed with just how cheap they were. I didn't get them so the hunt continues.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Finally got around to posting about welding up the rear diff. These drop out 3rd members are a lot of work compared to what I am used to :rolleyes:.

Yard sale...

Gertrude telling me I was going to get in trouble for stinking up the house... right before I got the evil eye for stinking up the house :laughing: (preheating in the oven before I started welding)

Think it will hold?

For way more pics and steps go here: https://www.diymetalfabrication.com/how-to-weld-lock-rear-differential-vitara-tracker/

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I like the ATV tires. I think I will have to get a second set of wheels that are 15's (with less backspacing to clear the brakes) and so I don't have to run the ATV tires on the street. Hmmm, now I just need to find some cheap ones :evil:

Good point. I didn't think about the TSL's being stiff. I was more impressed with just how cheap they were. I didn't get them so the hunt continues.
stock samurai wheels w/ 1.5" spacers - $100 or less

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Good things come to those who stalk Marketplace relentlessly :laughing:

Found a set of 15x8 wagon wheels and picked them up last weekend. $125 for 5 matching wheels.

Did I mention I LOVE tripping over kids stuff to get to my tools :shaking:

Bolted one on just for giggles to see where it rubbed on the brakes. I forgot to measure but if I were to guess they are about 1" less backspacing then the original 16" wheels.

I have heard a lot of people talk about the wheels rubbing, but have yet to see any pictures of what was actually done about it. So with the wheel loosely bolted on I spun it to mark where it was rubbing.

Haven't done it yet but I feel comfortable shaving off just enough of the outer edge of the caliper here. There is some pretty decent meat there.

The high spots on the welds might need a very light touch with the grinder (ignore the rust, just look at the fresh scratched spots)

Now I am on a mission to find some 30x10x15 SXS or UTV tires. I have come across a couple but no killer deals yet. I am targeting like $200 or less if anybody has any laying around and is near KC.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
$200 will probably get you some shit tires.

If you want to be cheap, you need something like this

Set of 4 (FOUR) Crosswind M/T Mud Tires - 30X9.50R15LT 104Q C (6 Ply) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TNH4V2H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BSGxDb7WZF2JX

I almost got the 31s and cut every other lug out like people do with boggers and Mt claws :laughing:

As far as the caliper rubbing the wheel, I bolted on a typical black rock crawler and it didn't look like it would take much to get them to fit. The samurai wheels on the other hand, are almost flat and pretty much need a 1" spacer.

·
Premium Member
14,076 Posts
$200 will probably get you some shit tires.

If you want to be cheap, you need something like this

Set of 4 (FOUR) Crosswind M/T Mud Tires - 30X9.50R15LT 104Q C (6 Ply) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TNH4V2H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BSGxDb7WZF2JX

I almost got the 31s and cut every other lug out like people do with boggers and Mt claws :laughing:

As far as the caliper rubbing the wheel, I bolted on a typical black rock crawler and it didn't look like it would take much to get them to fit. The samurai wheels on the other hand, are almost flat and pretty much need a 1" spacer.

I actually have those crosswinds on a 2 dr tracker and they seem to do very well.

And yes, 1" spacer to clear. These are 1-1/4" I had laying around

Attachments

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Boom!

4 Rocktane XS 29x10x15 used for $150.

My dad picked them up for me today but I won't get them for a couple weeks when he heads back home from out of state.

I would have preferred 30's but these were so cheap I couldn't pass them up.

Between these tires and the wheels, it puts me right at $2k total invested in this project. Not too shabby.

Might go do some light duty wheeling this weekend.

·
Registered
138 Posts
im liking all the mods so far. might steal your bumper mod for the winter beater . its kind of dicked from drift smashing from last year

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I didn't feel like going to bed, so I took some of the time lapse video and pictures from welding the rear diff and made a quick video out of it just for giggles/practice.

Haven't been doing much on the projects lately due to personal shenanigans and kids. Friday is my last day at my current job and I'm starting a new job here in a couple of weeks that is way closer and will cut about an hour a day off my commute.

I do plan on taking a week off between the jobs though, and I have a couple of projects I might be able to get to on PJ. :stirthepot:

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So I had my week off and made some solid progress, but not as much as I was hoping for. Maybe I was a little optimistic

Making some crossmembers

The Evap system on the Tracker/Vitara is under the passenger side floorboard. During my last offroad trip I hit it with rocks a couple of times and put some good dents in it, so it is time for it to get relocated also.

The best spot I could find was where the tank used to be.

It will be tucked in way up there. If I am hitting it offroad in this location, I likely have bigger issues to worry about.

More pics/details here: https://www.diymetalfabrication.com/diy-gas-tank-lift-for-offroad-clearance-on-vitara-tracker-part-2/

Hope to get some more work done this weekend. It is so damn cold out in the garage lately that it is hard to work up the gusto to go out there.

So after this point the project snowballed in scope a little bit, but I am still working on that part. Stay tuned :evil:

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Whew! Been busy with life stuff. New job, cold season, cold weather, honey do's, etc. but I was able to make some progress.

Here is the project scope expansion I was mentioning.

Since I have a giant hole in the floor already, I figured I might as well add a partial roll cage. For now I am just building a reinforced hoop behind the rear seats where the kids are sitting.

Stripped the plastics in the rear and cut off the headliner behind the rear seats. Made the gas tank hole in the floor even bigger so I could get a direct shot at the frame rails

It will have a full X and two kickers going toward the rear.

Here is where it meets at the frame rail

For more pics and details go here: https://www.diymetalfabrication.com/building-an-interior-roll-cage-for-vitara-tracker-part-1/

I just recently finished it up but haven't gotten a chance to go through the pictures. More to come soon!

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Finished up the roll cage.

Laser level on a camera tripod worked great for making the second tube straight.

Had to make the gas tank hole even bigger :laughing:

Tricky copes on the down tubes.

I had to do A LOT of test fitting and grinding on these. I had a bigger gap than I'm proud of at the bottom because of the way the tube had to slide into place. Filled it in with the 'ol MIG and it turned out alright.

The seats go all the way back to factory position. There is a nice cavity/wedge at the bottom that should be good for tool bags, etc.

More pics and details here: https://www.diymetalfabrication.com/building-an-interior-roll-cage-for-vitara-tracker-part-2/

Next up is building an enclosure for the gas tank and relocating the fuel filler neck.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts