Pirate 4x4 banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts
Discussion starter · #62 ·
And so it begins...

Demo'ing the rock wall

My boy got to run the winch on PJ using the wireless remote control to pull out a bush. He was stoked.

Found the shitter

Hoping the dump trucks that are coming tomorrow don't smash my culvert

Scraping the grass where the building will sit.

Ready for 40 yards of dirt to get delivered tomorrow!

Lots more pics here: Progress Report 1 – 30×48′ Pole Barn build

Discussion starter · #63 ·
More progress!

Ended up getting 40 yards of clay fill dirt in total.

Skiddie guy by the hour

I am aiming to have the new shop floor be at the same elevation as the existing garage floor.

Setting up for 5" of concrete and 4" of gravel. Might be overkill but I will have a 2 post lift eventually and want to make sure I feel good about it when I have a vehicle up on the lift.

How she sits today. I am actually standing on top of the last 10 yards of dirt that has been waiting to get spread out for over a week now.

Lots more pictures and a writeup on squaring the building layout and leveling the pad with laser here: Progress Report 2 – 30×48′ Pole Barn build

We are now entertaining the idea of putting a half bath inside the shop. I was told that I needed 36" frost footings around where the bathroom itself will be per city (the rest can be normal slab) so I am in the process of drawing everything up and finding a plumber that wants to play along. Open to any input you all might have on this.

Discussion starter · #66 ·
You should get the footer info from the lift company before you pour the floor. Pretty sure you will need footers for lift.
I haven't seen any specs for a footer on a lift yet but I could always be wrong.

I want to get lift with capacity for a 1 ton pickup even though I don't have one at the moment (10,000 or 11,000lb lift). Never know what I will drag home...

My current concrete spec is: 5" 4,000 psi with #4 rebar on 24" centers

I just pulled up a couple examples to see what the various manufacturers spec'd. I will definitely be doing more research here. BendPak has the most strict standards.

• Atlas PV-10P (10,000lb cap): 4" of concrete with 3,000psi (no spec on rebar)
  • Triumph 11,000 floor plate lift: 4" of concrete with 3,000psi (no spec on rebar)
  • Danmar 10,000 Lb 2 Post Lift: 4” of concrete with 3,000 PSI Steel Reinforced (not specific on the type of steel)
  • BendPak XPR-10AXLS: 4.5" of concrete with 3,000psi and #6 rebar on 12" centers
    • seems like a lot of rebar, I sent them a message to see if my spec would be adequate.

Great! I'm also planning to build one.
Thanks, I hope explaining the process helps some people in the future. It has taken a lot more effort and planning than I expected.

Surprising that they don't call it out, my oops. Maybe they are deferring to the Engineer, I would.

The gray area in between is where all those gray hairs come from. If the standard footing is 2x2 feet, then the load capacity of the footing should be at least 10,000 pounds (2 ft. x 2 ft. x 2,500 pounds per square foot), and perhaps even more if the soil has a bearing capacity in excess of 2,500 psf. You can probably support a little bit more given that 2,500 psf is a fairly conservative soil capacity (unless you built on muck) If your column load is more than 12,000 pounds, or if you’re not really sure there is a 2x2 footing, put in a new one of adequate size.

Discussion starter · #68 ·
Surprising that they don't call it out, my oops. Maybe they are deferring to the Engineer, I would.

The gray area in between is where all those gray hairs come from. If the standard footing is 2x2 feet, then the load capacity of the footing should be at least 10,000 pounds (2 ft. x 2 ft. x 2,500 pounds per square foot), and perhaps even more if the soil has a bearing capacity in excess of 2,500 psf. You can probably support a little bit more given that 2,500 psf is a fairly conservative soil capacity (unless you built on muck) If your column load is more than 12,000 pounds, or if you’re not really sure there is a 2x2 footing, put in a new one of adequate size.
Ya, it is weird that they aren't really specific about it. BendPak is the only one that was super specific especially if you have inadequate pad and have to cut in a pad. So far from everybody I have talked to and researched I am way good. I even hit up a guy selling lifts on FB and he said what I had spec'd was plenty.

My update for today is that my dirt is still not spread out and the skid steer guy I had hired just went on vacation for a week and a half. I am getting antsy and just want it done so I found another guy that is more expensive but will finish it this Sat (supposed to rain Mon). He also has a laser that he will bring so we can check grade on the fly.

I am picking up a narrow pallet jack tomorrow (trading some junk for an old used rusty on on FB). I have...a plan for organizing the new shop and making it modular so I can move stuff around as needed. Should be cool.

Discussion starter · #69 ·
Taking a break from the shop build. I made some progress on PJ's front bumper.

Adding a hoop to protect the hood/radiator/winch.

I still need to add tubes to either side that will wrap around to the fender. More on that later.

This is the best part about having a hoop up front. I can see where the bumper is at from the drivers seat that way I can gauge how close I am to stuff before I actually hit it.

Fabbed up a bracket for the kill switch. I like to be able to disconnect the winch when not in use. Never know when electronics will go south.

Winch wired up and ready for work

Go here for more pics and details: Part 6 – Front Winch Bumper Build with Receiver Hitch for PJ

That is all for now. I will have some shop updates here soon.

Discussion starter · #70 ·
Plans turned in to the city for permits today. Now... we wait.

Dirt is pretty much done. Through a bunch of shennanigans and flaky people I finally found a guy on FB that actually showed up to finish my dirt work.

Made a time lapse video of the process. It is kind of cool to see how much it has changed and how much work went into it:

Discussion starter · #71 ·
Discussion starter · #72 ·
Garage update: one department at the city approved, handed off to another department and now I am back to waiting again. I can't get a start date from the builder until I have approved permits.

Next project. Mini boatsides and rock sliders

Nice little pile of rust in there... :lol:

Drivers side. This side wasn't even rusted through, but there was a lot going on beneath.

Mocking up the sliders

That is it for today. Next up is to patch the bottom of the rockers where there is now a large hole then finish up the rock sliders.

More pics and details here: Part 1 – Mini Boatside and Rock Sliders on Vitara Tracker

Discussion starter · #74 ·
Made some progress on the rock sliders

Starting to rough in the patches

Lots of cutting fitting and welding later

Maybe race car parts will make it go faster? Bottom of fenders will be held on with 1/4 turn fasteners.

Lots more pics and write up here: Part 2 – Mini Boatside and Rock Sliders on Vitara Tracker

Still slowly progressing on the shop. I have a projected build date of mid November, but have A LOT of stuff to do between now and then.

Discussion starter · #75 ·
Soooo. My shop build date of November just got pushed back to December sometime because of lumber shortages... fun times.

In other news, I went wheeling at KS Rocks couple of weeks ago and everything went great until a couple of hours in I was spinning my tires up a steep hill and heard a pop then the 4wd quit working. Turns out the collar I had welded in the front diff up to permanently engage decided to be not so permanent and broke my weld.

So I tore it down and took a video of how the front differential actually engages the 4wd because I thought it was kind of cool.

Once I took the spring off, there is all kinds of room to weld the collar again so I will be doing that later this week as I get motivation.

Soooo. My shop build date of November just got pushed back to December sometime because of lumber shortages... fun times.

In other news, I went wheeling at KS Rocks couple of weeks ago and everything went great until a couple of hours in I was spinning my tires up a steep hill and heard a pop then the 4wd quit working. Turns out the collar I had welded in the front diff up to permanently engage decided to be not so permanent and broke my weld.

So I tore it down and took a video of how the front differential actually engages the 4wd because I thought it was kind of cool.

Once I took the spring off, there is all kinds of room to weld the collar again so I will be doing that later this week as I get motivation.
So, if you were to weld up the spiders/side gears together, but let the actuator still move, would you have no front axle traction with it disengaged, or 1 wheel action?

I guess I am wondering if it almost becomes like a selectable locker of sorts?

Discussion starter · #77 ·
So, if you were to weld up the spiders/side gears together, but let the actuator still move, would you have no front axle traction with it disengaged, or 1 wheel action?

I guess I am wondering if it almost becomes like a selectable locker of sorts?
I actually thought about this when I was welding it back up. It would work like that in theory but I decided against it because I wanted to eliminate the weak link which is the actuator itself. I ended up pulling it again and just welding the spider cage solid with 8 rosette welds to the carrier. I also welded the teeth together for good measure.

Discussion starter · #78 ·
Getting PJ ready for winter duties!

I am reusing the moldboard to a plow I made 5 years ago. Hooking it up to the winch on the front of PJ.

Here is a video of it in action:

Lots more pics and write-up here: DIY Receiver Hitch Snow Plow Using Offroad Winch

61 - 80 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.