Pirate 4x4 banner

321 - 340 of 753 Posts

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
have the stuff to do it and want to try and do if it gains are worth it, even if this motor will be almost double the power of the old tired 351 :laughing: was hoping to get the motor back together this weekend so not sure if its worth it in my time frame or just put the heads back on and run it. then when i have more time and money to machine them and run roller rockers and and give them love at that time
If that's the hangup, I'd do the bumps and call it a day. Just plan to dive in and do more later.

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
and this is what you are meaning buy a directional vane and not just grinding smooth, as looks like just the top and one side was ground down
Yep, guy could have done a little better but the idea is get damn near the same gains with the least amount of work. You also can really see the thin spot to the left of the vane where the water jacket is since it's been cleaned up. The little hole on the right is a thermactor port. You don't have them, but for future reference, you just pretend they aren't there and use plugs in the rear of the head where the injected air goes in.

You can also see the short turn is radiused and deepened a bit, and the bolt bumps smoothed down. Bolt bumps are easy to get at so depending on time you may get those too.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Yep, guy could have done a little better but the idea is get damn near the same gains with the least amount of work. You also can really see the thin spot to the left of the vane where the water jacket is since it's been cleaned up. The little hole on the right is a thermactor port. You don't have them, but for future reference, you just pretend they aren't there and use plugs in the rear of the head where the injected air goes in.

You can also see the short turn is radiused and deepened a bit, and the bolt bumps smoothed down. Bolt bumps are easy to get at so depending on time you may get those too.
thank you for answering my stupid newbie questions. will see how thing looks this weekend and see if want to take on the job

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
thank you for answering my stupid newbie questions. will see how thing looks this weekend and see if want to take on the job
Haha I don't really count porting as n00b level tech necessarily but no problem. You got it handled just stay away from the trouble spot and when in doubt, pull out.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #326 (Edited)
Cool. How is the quality on those headers? Could you post a pic of the right bank with the header installed, mostly where it dumps in relation to the motor mount bolts on the block. That rig is gonna be fun with a fuelie big block!
not the best pics but give you an idea, also found out the hardware that came with the headers is not the right size so have to find some in town :shaking:

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #328 (Edited)
so i wussed out on porting the heads and just cleaned the runners up and put them back together. looking at the heads a little better this weekend and they will work for now but can tell they need new valves and a proper rebuild. so will save up for that and port them at that time. i have the messed up heads on the 351 i can practice on and not worry to much about messing up

so lapped the valves, cleaned all the ports and reinstalled with new seals and springs, retainers and locks. also swapped to a 93 and up truck oil pan, did have to change the oil pick up and for some reason i did have to put a small bend in it to clear the oil pan. got a fresh coat of not so ford correct paint on the motor and some off the accessories, went black and slummins tan :flipoff2: buddy has my intake to weld up this week. will pick up a water pump this week and work on the belt drive, wanted to run a single serp belt set up but not able to find a reverse rotation water pump so will just stick with v belt

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #329 (Edited)
spent some time this weekend and pulled two C6 transmissions down to swap parts, the big block one had the long tail shaft and swapped the one from my diesel C6 into it. this made the big block trans the same length as the small block one. trying to get the truck done and might not have time to put the doubler in so with shortening the trans i can bolt the np271 back in and drive shafts will work and wont have to do anything with all that if i run out of time

got my intake back from being welded up so was able to bolt it on and a few other things. then tossed the trans in the truck and got the motor hung and mounts made

pass side header is close to the frame but should be fine

drivers side exhaust will be fun as pretty much dumps right onto the upper link. might have to pull the header back off and angle the collector flange, the exhaust will have to run forward and under the oil pan to clear everything.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #331 (Edited)
Looks good man.
thanks man

had some time last night so cut the upper link mount off the diff and cleaned the truss up and tacked a new one on. moved it over to move the link away from the header, but moved it to much and now the link touches the frame. will start on a new trac bar this week and see how much the diff will move and then reset the upper link mount to where it will clear everything fine

before

after

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Clean work :smokin:

How long til you chop the cab up and wish you had just started by scratch with a tube frame? That's the pirate way isn't it? :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Loooks great keep up the good work.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
thanks

Clean work :smokin:

How long til you chop the cab up and wish you had just started by scratch with a tube frame? That's the pirate way isn't it? :flipoff2:
dont even get me started :laughing: i have a 2x3 square tube frame that was supposed to be for my buggy, and i had to go out and measure it to see if would be less work to just drop my cab on it or keep going with the frame chop

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
dont even get me started :laughing: i have a 2x3 square tube frame that was supposed to be for my buggy, and i had to go out and measure it to see if would be less work to just drop my cab on it or keep going with the frame chop
Soooo Plan C is going to look a lot like the Throwback 'Manche Gen4x4 build? Cab skin on a bunch of tube? :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Soooo Plan C is going to look a lot like the Throwback 'Manche Gen4x4 build? Cab skin on a bunch of tube? :laughing:
Plan C will be more like buddys (HILLBILT) narrowed cab on tube frame :evil: do have a line on a cab for a case of beer so might pick that up this summer and cut 12" out of it and drop it on this frame after fitting a cage in it :D

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Looking good still on track for maylong ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hell no :laughing: once i heard Jay was out and the Ramcharger is not getting fixed i stopped working on this pos for a week. also had a set back as one of my air shocks is fucked and i have to pull it apart and see whats up with it. so i have no idea when ill actually get this done now

321 - 340 of 753 Posts