Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am getting ready to order a plasma cutter on Monday and just wanted some last minute input.

I am looking at an HTP Microcut 380 it sells for
$899 brand new here are the specs...
does anyone own or have used any HTP stuff?? I have checked out all the manufacturers and this is the best cost for the power and features.. most everything that is comparitive starts at $1200.. I think 1 reason HTP is cheaper is they ONLY sell direct.. anyway what does everyone think??

Specifications

Primary Voltage (Volts) 220
Primary Amperage (Amps) 16
Cutting Current (Amps) 15 to 30
Infinitely variable
Open Circuit Voltage (Volts DC) 370
Cutting Voltage (Volts DC) 85
Quality Cutting Capacity 3/8”@ 10”/min
Severance Cutting Capacity ½” @ 5”/min
Duty Cycle 30% @ 30 Amps
Weight 25 lbs.
Size:
Length
Width

Height
17 ¾”
6 ¾”

11 ¾”

Cutting Torch Length 19 ft.
Ground Length 16 ft.
Plasma /Cooling Gas Pressure 65 psi
Plasma/Cooling Gas Volume 3.5 cfm

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hellppp.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Never heard of this one. Have a PAK Master XL38 Plasma that cuts 3/8 and 1/2 in short bursts I am very happy with, but it was in the $1250.00 range. If you can get the use out of yours and the consumables are not overly exspensive then go for it. Only difference is I have a 25' cutting lead. I would also go with the 90 torch as opposed to the 70 degree as 90 works better for hand held opporations.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Butch, how fast do you go through consumables? It seems like that is all I hear about... What parts do you actually "go thru" ?
Thanks.. o by the way did you see the HTP 380 has up to 30 amps output? most "other" in this size stop at 27 amps.. My local welding shop says you need 35 amps to cut 1/2 .....

Rick

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have the 380 and I like it a lot, I was really impressed with it. It cuts 3/8" fine. Don't "dry fire it" cuz it eat's up your tips.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hickey... what does "dry fire" mean? how fast do you go thru consumables?? what is the biggest thing you have cut? where do you buy your consumables?? which things do you go thru the most?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Holding it up in the air and pullin the trigger, it makes a cool little flame. Also, make sure the metal you cut is clean. I have had mine for bout two months and I'm ready for a new tip, they sent me a consumables kit with it for free, but I got no instructions, so I need to call them and get them. I've cut 3/8 with it. Cutting 1/2 would probably be a chore, but I don't have much need to cut 1/2 inch, no tanks in my garage.:D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hey, I've always liked HTP. I have owned an HTP mig welder for 12 years and I love it. I'm reminded every time I have to use somebody else's welder. And mine was a few hundred cheaper than the millers at the time.
Everything they sell seems like top quality stuff, including the htp brand mig gun and cablehose I bought 7 years ago and the auto dark helmet I got 6 years ago, though it's kinda heavy and big, but at least it hasn't cracked yet like my brand new hobart POS.
Been thinking about getting one of those 380's or maybe the 625. Haven't seen the new price list on the website, did you notice the price on the 625?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I agree with ******. as always go big or stay at home. you are working with rockwells..we have a 50x. we bought it used so te price was right or else we would have went up 1 model. i would look for something that cuts 1/2 and severs 3/4. that way when you are working with 3/8's all day long it is not even beginning to stress...(only my opinion) as far as consumables. it seems like if you use the filter on the machine then add another one on your air source your tips will last much longer. the good part is when you wear a tip out the flame(so to speak) widens and it makes for a good weld gouging tip.....
Mike
ps i havent been to their web site but i bet if you spend 1250 like you would on brand B you can step up to the netx version of the HTD

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rocks.... the microcut 625 on sale $1429
Its cutting output is up to 40 amps a full 10 amps more than the 380 but $529 more......

I also have oxyacetylene torches but want nice clean cuts 3/8th and less. just don't want the massive investment of $1500 + for a "big dog" machine

about 7 years ago I bought a brand new MILLERMATIC 150 wire feed MIG... sure I coud have bought the "bigger" machine but I saved a few bucks and this machine has done all the fab work I ever needed and a few drag car roll cages and chassis work..

I just want to make sure that if anyone had any probs with HTP I found out "before" .... thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Rick, post back here if you get the HTP, I'd like to hear how the 380 handles 1/4 and the occasional 3/8 plate.
Like they said above, good dry air is the key to long consumable life. My old hypertherm was(I blew it up powering it with a generator) a little rough on tips if I forgot to plug in the air dryer.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my new HTP 380 today.... Holy F*%^# $hit this thing is incredible. When I opened it up I thought what a dinky little machine and i even called HTP and told them no way was this thing powerful enough. They said go home and try it if you don't like it within 90 days send it back for a FULL refund.... Well after using it all day cutting all the metal in site I don't think I will be sending it back..... WOW...... 1/2 cut no problem just go slow. everything else I was moving the torch to slow it cut soo fast with no problems..... How the heck did anyone build anything before Plasma cutters.... Go get one its a great deal for the money....

Rick

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hey Rick, thanks for the report, this sounds like a nice machine. Curious about whether or not it is possible to drag cut with the tip on the metal or do u need a standoff? My old hypertherm would stick and spark a little when drag cutting. Any noticeable tip wear with what u have cut so far? How much for the consumables? Thanks
Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts