Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On occasion I use a plasma torch at work. How much eye protection do I need? Something as dark as a welding lense, or some lighter, like a tinted faceshield I use with the gas torch?

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Urban Wheeler said:
On occasion I use a plasma torch at work. How much eye protection do I need? Something as dark as a welding lense, or some lighter, like a tinted faceshield I use with the gas torch?
I am also curious I have not used one much but I always just wore my sunglasses that I wear when using the torch..hmm

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I bought a pair of glasses at the welding store that are a #4 lens? (I think) Just enough to see out of them with the lights on, but not as dark as a welding helmet. This was the recommendation of the shop.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
I usually just use sunglasses, I have done it with just normal safety glasses too, it is not nearly as bad as welding.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My eyes kinda hurt if I dont use a lense. A number #4 seems to work alright. Remember, you only get one set of eyes, dont mess 'em up.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
depends on what you are cutting...for steel I would say a 3-5 lense would be fine...aluminum I would use higher...

·
Registered
864 Posts
ive been told that sunglasses are fine because you dont get the damaging uv rays like you do from welding. plus the arc usually isnt as big either. so i guess using sunglasses would be fine as long as its not bright enough to hurt your eyes.

·
Registered
936 Posts
HaWiiLuVeR said:
ive been told that sunglasses are fine because you dont get the damaging uv rays like you do from welding. plus the arc usually isnt as big either. so i guess using sunglasses would be fine as long as its not bright enough to hurt your eyes.
I just use sunglasses also

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
If I'm doing a really quick cut, I'll just use my sunglasses (normally in my shirt pocket). If I'm making a lot of cuts, I purchased a pair of safety glasses with a #4 tint.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
I use a shade 5 pair of glasses or faceshield. For those that use sunglasses, it's your eyes a few bucks spent on protection now will help you later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts