Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im sitting in class yesterday thinkin of making my front square shaft. ive talked to a few people and the pieces i have to make mine seem to have a lot of sloppiness. i have a read of the sheet metal idea, weldin a bead or two down the length of the tube. now recalling a conversation with a friend who is a crane mechanic about the outriggers he mentioned wear pads. so i was thinkin of ways to incorporate something like that. so what about think sheets of plastic to take up some of the slope? figure 4 strips the length of the reciever tubing possibly glued in or just let sit? thoughts, comments, suggestions?

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
You'd have to bevel and polish the ends of the shaft so it doesn't just scrape the insert all away. Then permanently attach it with countersunk rivits. It would have to be thick enough that it doesn't just smoosh out of the way as the shaft travels under load. The material would have to be hard enough that it doesn't just compress and create slop that way. Tolerances would have to be in the thousandths or it defeats the purpose cause it would be sloppy anyway; That will require machining of the inserts after they are attached.

The whole idea of a square shaft is quick and cheap. All that work, why not get a proper shaft?

-tom

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
landcroozer - intresting points

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LandCroozer said:
Believe me, I've thought about it too. I may do it just because I have more time than money. :D

-t
was relying on the platic being thick/strong enough to maintain its shape and that it would be a wearable/replaceble item.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Why not trying some UHMW or cutting board material?

·
Wut?
14,912 Posts
you know, it would be easy to slide 4 slips of delrin plastic down the tubes with glue to hold them in place. Delrin would not care about the tolorences as it will wear in quickly. Yet because delrin is slick, it should act as a buffer and take out the sloppyness.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
this may sound dumb but electrical tape and lots of grease work pretty good, i am a hardcore square d-line advocate and have tried damn near everything ;)

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Overbear said:
you know, it would be easy to slide 4 slips of delrin plastic down the tubes with glue to hold them in place. Delrin would not care about the tolorences as it will wear in quickly. Yet because delrin is slick, it should act as a buffer and take out the sloppyness.
thats what i was thinking

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
i drilled and taped a hole for a grease zerk about 3/4 the way up and it works pretty good, i also grease it up pretty good before sliding the two peices together. anthoer good thing to do is drill a hole at the very top for air to flow through. It will for a very tight seal and then it turns into an air shock with a ton of force. Ask me how i found that one out :laughing:

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snow Trooper said:
this may sound dumb but electrical tape and lots of grease work pretty good, i am a hardcore square d-line advocate and have tried damn near everything ;)
howd you wrap it? like a barber pole or a in a rainbow type pattern?

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
yah, just spiral it, i did two layers. clean it up really good first otherwise it wont stick worth a shit, it will get tore up over time but it works pretty good to silence it and make it smoother. and a roll of tape is like 99 cents I use 3m super 33+

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Are you guys having problems with them rattling, on a DD rig? I guess since I don't drive mine every day, I don't notice the problem. I had it apart yesterday to shorten it for the new HP third, and mine is not tight in any way shape or form, but still the only time it rattles is in 2wd on a washboard road at speed.

Also how much overlap are you running? I've got 13", (yeah, I know, dream-on :grinpimp: ), and maybe that helps :question: .

Doc

·
Registered
613 Posts
the problem with plastic is the clearance should only be .062 or .031 per side so mounting the strips is the real problem not so much as what to use everything (plastic) I know doesnt glue well not well enough to hold in place under load and sliding it might be able to be riveted but the rivet heads will need to be countersunk causing a weak point

I think the best solution is welding sheet metal strips

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Uh, OK.

Doc

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not so much scare as annoy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts