Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the cone washers on the hub, i have tried the tapered punch method but they seem to not be budging one bit, is there another way to remouve these cone washers? please help :rolleyes:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Take a socket that is larger than the cone.
Slip it over the cone and stud.
make sure that it is not making contact with the cone
Hit the end of the socket.
(deep sockets work best)

Another method that I have not tried is double nutting the stud
then hit the nuts straight on with a brass hammer.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Go buy a brass drift set. Put it on the end of each stud and give it a few solid whacks. I had all the cone washers off in a couple minutes.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i used a bfh and taped the top of the housing lightly, rotaiting and hitting. went around a few times, increasing how hard i hit it.....they fall out after a few times. you dont have to hit it hard, its more of a tap. just start light and increase, as long as your not denting it your ok

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im off to give it another try im goin to soak the cone washers and see if i can get them un rusted, i will let you know it goes wish me luck, im an amature to the toy axel stuff........

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
4CrawlR said:
I have yet to find one technique that works well on every single cone washer, sometimes you have to try 2 or 3 techniques to get a given washer off.
I have tried many ways but the easiest way in my opinion is to heat the hub with a propane torch then tap the hub every 1/4 turn with a hammer, no need to hit hard. They wil pop off really easily. Then use a pair of pliers to take them off

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
It is quite possible that the CALIFORNIA techniques will not work on the CANADIAN cone washers... :D

Once you do get them off, use anti-seize assembly lube on them to (hopefully) make it easier next time.

I use the brass drift method... back off the nuts until you can hit the studs with the drift without hitting the nut... hit it with a BFH then move to the next one... repeat, rotate, and be patient. Eventually you will hear a '*****' and one of the cone washers will be free (not necessarily the one you just hit)... of course, that is the CALIFORNIA method :grinpimp: Leaving the nut on prevents the cone washer from launching across the garage.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have used the CALIFORNIA method many many times, and it's never failed to work. Brass drift, BFH, a few shots of PB Blaster or Kroil, and lots of patience. Most people run out of the last item and start hammering on stuff, beating the crap out of things, denting the hub body, etc. What a shame.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the cali way seemed to work on my rusted candain stuff, got em all out damn that was kinda easy once you know the correct method of removal, thanks alot for all the sugestions and help......cheers

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
dumb question here, but AFAIK i dont have a single cone washer on any part of my D60 front in my K5... why exactly are they needed on a toy? I know they come factory... but.. why don't people replace them with something else? won't tapered nuts work or what? seems like everyone has a problem with them and yet no one uses anything different, so there must be a reason.. I'm just wondering what it is. :)

j

1 - 12 of 12 Posts