Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Got a little more done this weekend. Lower B-C spreader, C pillar curve thing, rear harness bar, and windshield inverted V notch. Some vehicles got moved around so I was able to get a front end shot with the new to me 43’s.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Space filling up fast! Got some more stuff done today. Grab handles, center console mount, cooler/tools/whatever basket mount and speaker cans. I cut down my old hitch cargo carrier. Now I won’t be able to open the a cooler when it is in this location, but I have an idea....

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
To YJ-Unlimited: rig looks badass. Spec's?

-enjoying everyone's fab efforts-!!

--Sherpa

Transferring over here so I don’t hijack the other build thread.

87 YJ stretched frame and body 15” WB116.5”
5.7L TPI SBC, Built 700R4, NP241C
79 Ford 60 w/35 spline chromo’ & super joints, GM AAM10.5, Selectable locker F/R, 43” SX DOT
4 link F/R w/ 2.5” 7075 lowers
A ton of other things here and there.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
15" stretch so you can run an LJ top?
I came to 14 7/8" stretch on my cj7 tub to allow running an LJ top.

Are those 42's? I like the look of the tire placement

--Sherpa

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
So what’s your plan for your backseat passengers? Lay down under the rack while they are riding? Or is that just gonna be used when you don’t have people riding in the back?

Looks like you have tons of room behind the rear bench to work with still.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
15" stretch so you can run an LJ top?

I came to 14 7/8" stretch on my cj7 tub to allow running an LJ top.

Are those 42's? I like the look of the tire placement

--Sherpa

I did 14-7/8” as well. Exactly to be able to run a factory LJ top. I think I looked at some of your build when doing it. They are 43” SX’s.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
So what’s your plan for your backseat passengers? Lay down under the rack while they are riding? Or is that just gonna be used when you don’t have people riding in the back?

Looks like you have tons of room behind the rear bench to work with still.

Yeah the rack is for when no one is in the back. When wheeling 99% of the time it’s just me and my son. The rear support bar also is the rear seat harness bar. I have some subs that are going behind the seat so there won’t be too much left. You know got to have that boom boom while going yee yee vroom vroom! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah the rack is for when no one is in the back. When wheeling 99% of the time it’s just me and my son. The rear support bar also is the rear seat harness bar. I have some subs that are going behind the seat so there won’t be too much left. You know got to have that boom boom while going yee yee vroom vroom! :flipoff2:
Gotcha. Did you mount the rear bench to the cage or just have it bolted to the floor?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
First test fit of the LJ top... Like a glove! I can’t believe this old top didn’t split given its age and the temperature out. It’s been sitting in my attic for 3 years so it’s seen plenty of heat cycles and it was well used when I got it on Craigslist. Still need to slot the windshield for the front clamps. It’s all these little victories that keep me motivated.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Was able to make it out to the shop Friday and get some work in. First the 43 fits in the tire carrier! Wasn’t sure if it was going to fit.

I hadn’t done the B pillar tie ins yet so I started those. Unfortunately I welded the tube fully to the plate that sandwiches the body then welded on the doubler to the frame... and I made the doubler too big and now the tube looks off center. I might cut the tube off and redo it because it’s killing my OCD.

I have about 70% of the cage welded now. The rest I’ll finish when I pull it so I can get some Better weld positions. Here some pics. You win some and you lose with the welds. Not perfect, but overall pretty happy with them for me being a hobbiest.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
I got some small done this weekend. I ovaled the holes on the cooler basket to give me the 1/8” I needed to fit a YETI 35 under the the rear halo.

Made some brackets to hold the ratcheting mechanism for the 3 point seat belts. Also welded the bungs in the B-pillar.

A few other things not pictured. Got the holes drilled in the A-B spreader first for the the door surround bolts. Made the passenger B pillar tie in, and cut/bent slots in the windshield frame for the soft top latches to hook into. The cage is done and ready to be pulled for finish weld and adding a few gussets. So here is a weld pic and the punch list.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thanks dude.

Had a little over an hour today at the shop. I tried fitting LJ bow brackets but they didn’t work with my B pillar location. So I cut up the TJ bow brackets I had and welded them to the B pillar.

I knew it would bother me forever if I didn’t fix the B pillar frame tie in. Got it cut off and fitted it so it was centered on the doubler plate.

Here are some pics of what I did on the windshield for the soft top clamps. I drilled two holes. Then made a cut between the bottom of them. I used a piece of 1/8” flat bar as a punch to hem the metal up into the windshield frame. I didn’t do as clean of a job on this side, but it’s the side I took a pic of oh well. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Finished up everything on the cage besides final weld. Next on my punch list was check fender flare clearance now that I have 43’s. Well as expected the Metal Cloak fenders are too small.

Good news is I made the wheel well just big enough for 43’s. The other side is fully dropped out in the pics.

I decided instead of modifying the flares I’ll just make new ones. I bent some tube and got it pretty close, but I’m waiting on the ball and socket builders kit from MC. I still want the front to match the back in style.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
This build iteration I have been trying not to cut any corners. All the little details definitely take time. Went be Alro yesterday to pick up some sheet steel for the flares also picked up some 1/2” DOM. Had about an hour this afternoon to do some work. Swung by the shop and used the 1/2” DOM to sleeve the bolt holes on the A-B spreader where the door surrounds mount. This will prevent any water intrusion in the tube.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Got a couple things knocked off the list this week.

Cut the welds off the windshield hinge and knocked the pin out. PITA for sure. I’m going to put a 7/16” with 3.5” grip quick release in it.

Put a removable C pillar crossmember in.

Blinged up my cooler basket by making some dimple die inserts. It was fun trying to get that 20ga welded together the basket with .035 wire. It took me a few welds but I figured it out.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts