Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PML Tranmission Pan Review

You can find these at http://www.yourcovers.com

I forget which website I originally found these covers on but I discovered they were about 45 minutes away from me so I decided to pick one up. A few days late, I called and explained I was having a hard time getting there during the day, and wondered if I could pick it up on the weekend. The salesman originally offered to drop it off for me since he would be somewhat in the area, and we eventually worked out a time for me to pick it up on Saturday when a designer was to be in the shop. I should have taken some pictures of the shop but at the time wasn't thinking of it. They have a full CAD design studio with all sorts of models around, hands, parts, etc. I didn't get a good look at the rest of the shop to see if they do the casting themselves or not, but I did see some equipment, and one guy was there cutting some sort of casting on a large bandsaw.

PML also produces Valve Covers and Diff Covers out of cast aluminum, but this product overview is based on the Transmission Pan I purchased for my Dodge.

From the website,
* Increased oil capacity with deep pans for reduced oil temperature
* Sand-cast aluminum with raised fins
* Thick wall construction to add strength to transmission case
* Thick gasket flange will not bend when bolts are tightened
* Machined gasket surface for a secure seal
* Boss cast into pan can be machined for a temperature sensor
* Magnetic drain plug for easier, less messy maintenance
* Mounting hardware provided .

You DO have to use a stock gasket, they don't use the O-Ring like Mag Hytec does. They offer the products in as-cast bare aluminum, powdercoated, and polished. They propose you do not powdercoat, as they report it is an excellent heat blanket and prevents the tranmission from cooling as much as possible.

base price is $165, $15 extra to machine the NPT threads for the temp sensor, and about $15 in taxes i think brought it to around $205. initial price sure seems a lot cheaper then the Mag Hytec pan, after the extras it starts getting close. You can also purchase these from ah, DPP i think....a company in Tennesee? I've got the link at work, I'll have to find it there, but you can get it for $160 and probably not pay tax on it, but then you've got the $10-15 shipping so, just another option out there.
full hardware included

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ordered mine with 1/8" npt threads machined for the temp sensor. this was an extra $15. this is on the right, on the left is the drain plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a straight shot of the bottom/finned area.

Attachments

·
Banned
272 Posts
PML is a good shop. I've worked with them in past - Precision Measurement Laboratory. In fact a friend of mine works there.

Brian

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also need to decide what fluid to run, and pick up a new filter. i've got the guages (only took two days to start buying crap for the truck :p) and just got the sender from summit, and am waiting on geno's to get the pod to me. that should be here tuesday. i'd like to take a before temp but don't feel like dropping the pan, fitting the sender to it, etc. a guy on JU gave me a good deal on tranny temp, boost and pyro, just had to order the one sender. also ordered a westach electric fuel pressure guage from geno's. about 1/3 the price of an autometer one, i can live with mismatched guages for that price. will probably mount it to the steering column though. next mod is a new tranny..best to get it handled before i get stranded. shopping around right now, need to make some calls and see what all i need and what it'll cost me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts