Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a low budget Hauler Project my son and I put together. 7.3 ltr diesel retired Uhaul. It's not fancy, but it functions. We are heading to Tellico later this month. AC, full 120 volt and 12 volt systems, 1500 w inverter, water tank, water heater, grey water tank, work bench. overhead storage.

Doors and windows from an RV graveyard.

Interior 'living quarters:

back section. The bi fold doors have to be open to fit the jeep inside. 4 9000lb. tie downs bolted through the frame.

Out door Bubba shower with hot and cold water.

Dash mounted monitor to keep an eye on the jeep inside and a camera mounted out the rear to watch the jeep on a trailer.

And just so the neighbors know what it is for:

It's been a blast to put together. The air suspension drops the truck down 4" and some ramps do the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Saw yer buildup thread on ROF. Post more pics of the Jeep in the rig.

Awesome job!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yea, I like it too! Sweet.:smokin:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
KS Toy said:
Cool deal. What is the width inside? Got a bed above the cab or cots on the floor?
It's just wide enough to get out the door of the jeep. I'm not sure the exact width, I believe seven ft. I'll measure it. It has a twin bunk above the cab and I can put a folding cot on the floor.

EDIT: It is 7'7" wide. The door opening is 7'3"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
hotwheelsYJ said:
That is great. Got anymore pics of the front of the living quarters? facing toward the upper bunk.

What size Uhaul did you start with?
It's a 26 foot truck. The width inside is 7' 7".

Here's an early shot looking from the rear. There is quite a bit of room up top. I have an air bed up there now. You can store alot of stuff up there. I have a cargo net to keep things from falling. I'll shoot a better pic. later.

Rockcrawln, two cj's would fit in one of these, unless you have a monster stinger on them. Watch your GVW limits. One thing you might try, the Florida DOT let me reclassify this from a commercial truck to a motor home once I put 120 volt and water hook up. That made the license and insurance a lot cheaper.

The roof now has 1" thick foam insulating board between all the aluminum stringers. It keeps things a lot cooler.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That is pretty damn sweet if you ask me!!!!!

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
That gets the job done.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen.... THAT is how to start posting on the PBB!

Suweeet!

Stabbin'Cabbin' needs the "Redneck Vacations" touch.

Very nice :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I picked up one of those outdoor shower doo-dads myself... haven't installed it yet... throwing around shower curtain attachment ideas for it... that or I'll just have to give everyone a show :D

btw, just noticed the "Manatee, the other white meat" bumper sticker.

Almost blew coffee out my nose!:laughing:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I dig it, but I'm completely bummed that you put this out there. Now U-Haul trucks are gonna be hard to come by, way to start a trend, man :flipoff2: I've been pondering the same thing for a while now, and driving by the U-Haul truck liquidation center a couple of times a week doesn't help much.

Nice job.

For those of us not in the know, what are the GVW ratings and such. Could you pull a trailer with another rig on it with this? (we're a 2 rig family)

Where did you find an RV graveyard? Where do you even begin searching for one? I seem to be only able to find new RV parts.

You mentioned air ride earlier, did you put it in, or was it part of the rig?

1 - 20 of 191 Posts