Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the comments guys.

Gummi Bear said:
For those of us not in the know, what are the GVW ratings and such. Could you pull a trailer with another rig on it with this? (we're a 2 rig family)
You mentioned air ride earlier, did you put it in, or was it part of the rig?
The GVW rating is 18,000 lbs. I can't get a straight answer on the CGVW, but the Uhaul people tell me that they have people fill these things full and tow cars behind them all the time (it came with a 2" hitch ball already on it). I'll be towing one on a car hauler and have one inside.

The air suspension came with the truck. It has a knob on the dash you can push in and drop the rear around 4 inches.

Hendo; I don't have a black water holding tank. That and a real head will come down the road. Right now I just have a porta potti. It has never been used.... I think that is because I have a hard rule about it. He who uses it first, cleans it for LIFE!! I do have a small tank under the sink for grey water.

Thumper; the shower curtain worked out pretty good. The part mounted on the truck that the the shower curtain rods stick into are just a couple of boat stantion mounts. I wish I could find another 'Manatee' sticker.. it would be on the truck. Tree huggers hate it.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
That's pretty cool. About time we had a noobie post over here something worth a shit!

I'll assume it's the same 7.3 from the Powerstrokes? Turbo, no intercooler? How does it do on the hills, or have you had enough seat time yet? I'll assume it's an auto if it's from u-haul. It seems that thing could have a ton of interior room if you bumper pulled the trailer too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
pmurf1: It's a 7.3 but no Turbo. I'm sure what components it shares with the Ford, but it is an International. I did some work on the fuel system and the parts were only available through International Navistar. The Tranny is a 5 speed manual Spicer.

It is no speed demon.. leans a bit more towards pig. But it does get there at approx. 10.5 mpg. So far, only a semi local couple trips of 200 miles or so and it did fine. It'll cruise at 60 to 65 easy but I am in Florida so not a lot of serious climbs here. I expect that we will be in third /fourth gear in the mountains.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Nice! Very cool. Thanks for posting, now to start lookin for an old U-Haul :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
pmurf1 said:
It's sitting next to the microwave in the second picture. Portable one.
Yep. It's one of those free standing units that you have to vent outside. It vents through a lockable screened hatch cut into the side.

HotwheelsYJ: here's better shots of the above cab area.

·
Registered
499 Posts
A guy I know picked one up one of these with a wrecked box (someone tried to go under a low bridge). He cut the box off to make a log truck out of it (he does tree removal).

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I've always admired this concept. Trouble is finding one specced out with air ride and decent power/cruise speed- at least for my needs. be nice to connect the box to the cab with a sleeper type boot. Maybe an expediter truck would be a good starting point for more power etc.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Thanks, Clint. It's an honor to have the 'dude' bestowed upone me. :flipoff2:

Go2 - I've looked at expediter/delivery trucks too, they definitely net you some serious power, but the only downside to me is that they're pretty darn tall. (you'd need some long ramps) My plan was to find a low profile rig, like a tow truck chassis, and put a box on that, in an effort to keep the overall height down, not to mention a little bit less drag (like it makes a bit of difference with one of these :D )

You can get the U-Haul boxes pretty cheap, and if you found a good chassis, one can be put on with just a little fab work. There's a place over in Fort Worth that has some, and like I mentioned before, there's another place here near the office that has them.

I've looked at all kinds of chassis, the International plant is just a couple of miles from my office, and I really believe that one of the low profile ones is the way to go. Having the box nearly 3 feet lower is pretty attractive to me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nice hauler it looks great .

ibrocun said:
Saw yer buildup thread on ROF. Post more pics of the Jeep in the rig.

Awesome job!
ROF ? How about a link to the build up

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Go2Guy said:
be nice to connect the box to the cab with a sleeper type boot. .
You just pegged my next project. Freightliner sells the gasket and bracket, but it is pretty pricey for a steroided gasket and some aluminum. I am looking for a junkyard that has a flopped semi w/ sleeper cab and pull the parts. I will have to get rid of the bench seat in the cab and move the work bench to the passenger side behind the side door. It would be nice to be able to get into the box under way.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Go2Guy said:
Trouble is finding one specced out with air ride and decent power/cruise speed- at least for my needs.
You can find 24'-26' moving vans all the time. If all you need room for inside is a 1 jeep. We looked for 4 months before we found our 28' (fits 2 jeeps + kitchen) moving van that we are doing the same thing too. The only problem with a moving van is you need long ramps.

21 - 40 of 191 Posts