Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I love it... So much in fact your pictures were what i needed to close the deal with the wife... (actually she didnt care but it helped)

Any tips on the Truck -> RV stuff at the DMV.. How fancy did it need to be? Wondering if I should try to do some simple stuff upfront or not.

After a few bum truck deals I decided no ebay trucks and i needed to test drive it at road speed... Mines basically a twin of your truck... Ill put more details in a seperate write up. I should have it at the house by the weekend.. I hope it fits...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
yager said:
Any tips on the Truck -> RV stuff at the DMV.. How fancy did it need to be? Wondering if I should try to do some simple stuff upfront or not.
I had to go to the DMV licensing office to get my registration and Tags. The clerk walked out to the truck and looked to see if it had a water hook up and AC hook up. She did not look inside, just at the actual hook ups on the side. I did put an airbed on the cab over section and a sink/cabinet installed before I went down there.. just in case. MUCH cheaper insurance and tags being a "motor coach."

(Check your pm. sent door window install pics.)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
LouBell said:
I must have a '******* Vacations" sticker. I can Paypal you the $ if you have extra.:cool:
Here is a png file of the ******* Vacations sticker. Just email it or take a copy to any sign / graphics shop and they can make one up for you cheap. Aprox. $20.00 or so. If the file does not work for you, PM me and I'll send it another way.

We officially finished Krawler Hauler tonight. The Graphics are on. Next stop is Tellico. Thanks for the comments folks, I'll post after the trip if the old Uhaul makes it there and back in good form.

After all the work, If it does not make it, someone will find an old Uhaul with the vin#'s scraped off and up in flames on the side of the road.:evil:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Those Graphics turned out sweet !! that thing is awsome...
One question though.. is there some kind of collection tray for the shower ?? or do u just make a muddy mess around your camp ground ??

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Mud Slayer 2.0 said:
Those Graphics turned out sweet !! that thing is awsome...
One question though.. is there some kind of collection tray for the shower ?? or do u just make a muddy mess around your camp ground ??
Thanks, not near the detail of the jeep graphic you designed though. No, I don't have a collection tray. I'm not sure how you would do that with an out door shower. We have a wood grid/platform that fits under the shower. Have not had issues with mud. Typically, there is grass, gravel etc. The shower is on the driverside near the cab. Pretty much out of the way. We're not talking 20 min showers here. It's only a 4 gal. hot water tank.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
4gal hot... im sure people will be lined up for cold showers !!

My wife liked the shower idea when i showed her your pics.. I had the same comments about water, drainage. When we get to that point i figured id take a large platic tray or tote bin etc and put a drain in one side with a hose hook up. Just enough to send it to a grey water drain or at least a bit away...

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
yager said:
4gal hot... im sure people will be lined up for cold showers !!

My wife liked the shower idea when i showed her your pics.. I had the same comments about water, drainage. When we get to that point i figured id take a large platic tray or tote bin etc and put a drain in one side with a hose hook up. Just enough to send it to a grey water drain or at least a bit away...

Yager talk to Jon Loughry he is making a shower set up right now for camping.. he made a small wood deck to stand on to keep fet out of mud :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
May be worth checking into weather that engine is enough like the ford Navistars, you can find pretty good deals anymore on ATS turbo systems used, or better yet is a sidewinder from banks, they make a big diff. The other thing I hear does wonders on those pickups is headers, they claim the same performance as a turbo, but right off the bottom, and you don't have to worry about the heat issues you end up with putting a turbo on.
This thing is very cool, I had always thought about this, but now my rig is about to outgrow any indoor hauling options other than a semi I think.
And as far as ramp length I would be with the other guys, so steep ramps shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a good place to tie to and a winch in the case that you have to haul it home dead. I have always wondered about the tag and issurance thing, it isn't the same in all states though, because I have talked to some in KS using semis for haulers and they had to have a bathroom to be an RV.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
ksbronco said:
The other thing I hear does wonders on those pickups is headers, they claim the same performance as a turbo, but right off the bottom, and you don't have to worry about the heat issues you end up with putting a turbo on.
I am going to look into the header idea. I just finished the first full 'dress rehearsal' with a jeep inside and one on a car hauler. It is a pig. It will work, but I am not going to set any speed records. I am guessing that I won't be out of third in the mountains. I can cruise it at 60/65, but am floored getting there. A Diesel mechanic friend of mine is going to do some fuel system work for me when I get back from Tellico. He said the Uhauls are typically somewhat de-tuned.

Any recomendations on a header source for a 1989 International 7.3 diesel would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
35xj said:
thats awesome. was looking at the newer chevy 4500/5500? u hauls the other day. anybody seen a diesel one?????

I saw a couple of Freightliner type fronts on some here in Utah the other day. They looked like FL80 type. There were some International cabs nearby, so they stuck out a little. I wonder what they were powered by?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Vortec_Cruiser said:
It would be nice to see a full writeup of the entire build, along with pictures. It really looks great! :)
Thanks. I have a ton of pics. I just need to put a write up together. Maybe after Tellico. The actual 'two jeep' Uhaul transport capability will be proved or disproved by then. We leave 4AM Weds. Either way I'll post.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
That is one of the nicest and most practical builds I've seen on a U-haul :smokin:

61 - 80 of 191 Posts