Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Super !!! ive only put 20miles in mine getting it home, did 65 on the beltway np no idea of mpg yet..

How you do on the big hills??

keep use posted with your progess.. btw; i got some non opening windows for the back of mine....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
snookwheel said:
Hey all, met some of you pirates at Crawfords in Tellico, thanks for stopping by. The rig is averaging 9 MPG at 65-70 MPH (once out of the mountains)with one Jeep inside and one on a flatbed behind it; running like a champ!!

Next stop... Harlen (Spelling?), Kentucky.
Let me correct this... I am finally home and did the math. The 65 to 70 cruise ended up giving me 7.75 mpg. Quite a bit lower than what I saw at 60 - 65 on the way to Tellico (8.5 mpg). With one jeep in the box and not towing a flatbed, I saw 10.5 averaging +-60 mph. Too bad, because with both jeeps, and Florida terraine, 65 seems to be the sweet spot for 5th gear.

Yager, for the big hills, momentum is your friend! The 7.3 will pull a house off it's foundation.. but not too fast. There were a few times that I had to downshift to third and a couple times to second. But no worries, I was not alone. The road to Crawfords, Hanging Dog Road, was NOT designed with the Uhaul in mind. But it will get you there with all your junk. Post pics of your progress!

Scott

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
keep posting how much fun your having, the wife is really getting on board with where our project is headed !!!

Did you guys even wheel or just show off the camper all week !! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Good meeting you folks too. What/when is the Harlen thing? I could stand another road trip. EDIT: Never mind, found the Harlen Info.

Yeager, we did some wheeling & broke some stuff. Chromoly axles replacing the busted TJ ones (front) this weekend. Re welding control arm mounts too. That punk kid of mine is hard on the equipment!!

Scott

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You know, I hate you :flipoff2:

That thing is just too sweet. Very clean work, and an awesome project!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks guys. Freak, I see you have a Sami. That will probably be my next (down the road) project. I am out of room too. But the truck is where I can store the Sami when I'm not using it.

I want to add a tachometer. This looks like a cheap easy solution; http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/diesel.php

Anyone have any experience with them? Installing a sensor/sender on the tranny is the factory option for this truck according to the International/Navistar shop. Too much $$. The TinyTach is only $65 and a easy install. Not a matching guage for the instrument panel.... but so what, it's a Uhaul.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That tach looks like it would work fine. I prefer an analog tach, but it'll get the job for sure. And it is cheap!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just got one for my 6.2L GMC...and it's not here yet but i will let you know when i get it and install it.

Stew

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just got one for my 6.2L GMC...and it's not here yet but i will let you know when i get it and install it.

Stew

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
snookwheel said:
Anyone have any experience with them? Installing a sensor/sender on the tranny is the factory option for this truck according to the International/Navistar shop. Too much $$. The TinyTach is only $65 and a easy install. Not a matching guage for the instrument panel.... but so what, it's a Uhaul.
These work well -- it is a simple sender that tags onto the injector lines and picks up mechanical pulses, with a simple display, as well. Cool product, and mine works great!

Randii

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Tiny Tach installed and works great. Less than 30 min. job. Clean a spot on a fuel injector line, attach sender & ground.

connect power and done.

Next week starts the cab to box walk through parts search. I have a line on a salvage yard with some Semi truck cabs that should have the gasket and frame parts.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
remind me on monday to send you a link to a site w/ boot material. I got the link of the truckconversion site. I have no idea of the cost but it kinda looks like a shoot boot cut in half length wise and as long as you need.. flexes 5"-10" or so...... I cut the door :) posting pics now...

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
snookwheel said:
Next week starts the cab to box walk through parts search. I have a line on a salvage yard with some Semi truck cabs that should have the gasket and frame parts.
If the Salvage yard doesn't have anything here's another idea.

Have you guys thought about using a farm implement inner tube for your cab boot? A little soft flanging around the back of the cab and front of the box to hold it in place and some naugahyde with snaps for a inner cover between the cab and box and your good to go.
Ever see those swamp buggies on TNN. Look at the size of their tires. small diameter tube and big hole. It would be real easy to air it up to make a watertight fit.

Kudos on the out of the box thinking! Or is that in the box thinking?

I LIKE IT.

SSSRodeo

81 - 100 of 191 Posts