Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys think about poison spyders full cage for a yj. My main concern is that it is not designed to tie into the frame. Every other cage I have done has been tied to frame but I just don't have time to build my own cage for this project and by the time you add up material you are close to same price.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
just because they dont tie it in doesnt mean you cant do it... the frame tie in is the easiest part...
x2

We used 3/16" plates to sandwich the body between the cage and frame tie in.

edit- the C pillar tie in was in line with the c pillar once it was welded. The second pic was just a mock up shot ;)

·
Mr. DJ
20,847 Posts
I have one in my TJ . I layed my Jeep on its side with the top down , it folded like a wet taco . When I called about it I was told that I should of had my windshield up for it to work properly. I was also told this was in the instructions , it was not ,I bought one of the first ones so I can see the missed instructions . However when i called them on it they got very defensive , as if maybe this was not the first time they heard about this. Anyway i was told that someone would get back to me , and well that was over a year ago . Soooooooo , the cage is good as long as you have the windshield up , according to them , but I live in So Cal so I spend alot of time with my windshield off . I re did mine but if I was going to do it agian I'd go to the local fab guy .

All the raw material is new . I have there rockers , fenders , and full corners that are well used , very happy with those.

·
Mr. DJ
20,847 Posts
Yep , it folded rite at the front , look at my air bag you can see that its crushed . The front pillars that the cage links into is like 8th inch steel . :shaking: That and its lower than the stock cage and not much room in the back.:(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Poison spyders cages are made to look good and are not the strongest design. They will hold up in mild rolls and probably keep you alive in even some of the worst rolls. But you can buy or build a much better cage for the money so why go with PS. Just my two cents

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I bought a CJ kit from them. For the money, I could not buy teh tube locally. Also, it was extremely close to my own desired design. BUT!!!! the original design is not laterally stable. there are no gussets, nor much TRIANGULATION :eek:. So I added the necessary components to make it stout. Now I dont have any doubts That it will hold up to whatever I can do with it.

If your planning on buying it, and running it as is, you should try to find a local fab shop adn see what they can do for you. I hear Rock and roll offroad has a nice cage :flipoff2:

Good luck, stay safe!

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
ohhhh , and I'm prabably wrong on the thickness of the door pillars its probably more like 1/16th or what ever is closest to aluminum foil .
I was gonna say, if it's 1/8" (or .125") then it's thicker than most buggies and most cages. Most people only use .120" wall tubing or thinner depending on the material they use.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I was gonna say, if it's 1/8" (or .125") then it's thicker than most buggies and most cages. Most people only use .120" wall tubing or thinner depending on the material they use.
Yeah, but he's talking about flat metal, you're talking tubing. Bit of a difference!

I've personally seen one of these types of cages fold over in a barrel role. I'd never run one and would advise anyone else not too either. Like everyone else says, they're all show and no go. :shaking:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I installed one for a guy a while back, it is 1/8", maybe a little thicker if I remember correctly. The flaw is not in the thickness of the material, it's in the connection to the rest of the "A hoop". The tube just welds on the top of the PS bracket, and this is not very pratical. Even the best welds on this will not hold in a roll that hits the top front corner of the cage. Gussets are a must for this to even be somewhat practical.

·
Mr. DJ
20,847 Posts
I was talking about the stamped sheet metal in the door jam that the cage connects to, it ripped when I layed it on it side , earlier in the day I was on the top of a knarly hill and almost went over backwards, had I , I would be dead !:eek:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Are there any PSC vendors on this board? TGTW used to be but I cant get ahold of them... noone else seems to advertise them...

·
Registered
23 Posts
so are ya sayin the stock cage is better than the psc cage? i rolled mine over backwards with the stock cage and didn't die!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts