Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the plate bolted to the dash style front cage mount and noticed they don't list the mounts for CJ is there some reason why the mounts don't lend themselves well to CJs. I don't really want to go to the floor because I need the leg room. I plan on building these myself so the fact that they don't list them isn't that big of a deal. Anyone got pics?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The cowl on a TJ is considered a structual body componant as is the windshield frame (seems odd but true). TJ's have to meet Fed saftey standards that CJ's didn't.
So, the cowl is much stronger on a TJ and gives them the option of doing it that way...... I still think the idea sucks dick tho

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK that makes sense on paper, but they don't look much stronger to me. YJ-CJ tub very nearly the same aren't they?

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
Codeman96 said:
OK that makes sense on paper, but they don't look much stronger to me. YJ-CJ tub very nearly the same aren't they?
What is it that you want? I'll tell you now, mounting a cage to the cowl seems like a bad idea to me, no matter if its a TJ/YJ/CJ cowl. Just do it right, and go to the frame. Just because YOU don't think the TJ cowls are that much stronger, doesn't mean that they aren't. Didn't know you were a structural engineer.
Scott

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Here.......this is what you wanna here.

"Its fine. Build your own, use the cowl in front and you wont EVER need to tie the cage to the frame either....the body is plenty strong."

:rolleyes: If you want a cage to work properly, build it right IMO.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm currently installing a Poison Spider trail cage in my 98 TJ. The way that it mounts to the floor it DOES NOT take up enough floor space to worry about. With quotes over $1,000 for a custom cage I ended up going the cheap route...besides the HD9,000i chewed up all my change.

microtus

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is okay to mount the cage to a set of mirror relocation brackets as long as they are stainless steel. The black ones will not work they are not strong enough so make sure you buy the stainles steel versions. You will spend a little more money initally but they are well worth it in the long run.

Go Home and leave us alone............................

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have seen a few cjs with the cage mounted to the body. Have also seen one roll all it did was pull the bolts a little. The body where the windshield meet is supposed to be the stongest part off a cj. I wen there with my cage in my 5 because I needed the leg room. Have not used it yet so do not know how it will work.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
HAHAHA...that's some funny schiat!

The Original Diesel said:
I'm pretty sure it is okay to mount the cage to a set of mirror relocation brackets as long as they are stainless steel. The black ones will not work they are not strong enough so make sure you buy the stainles steel versions. You will spend a little more money initally but they are well worth it in the long run.

Do what I did if you are concerned about leg room. The TJ really has an issue for this cause the dash comes out so far. Just run it through the front of the dash, down into a hole in the floor to the frame. Strong and I barely know it's there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WTF! I asked a simple question and I didn't mean if its OK for YJ TJs that it has to be ok for a CJ! I your point if it's not a good attachment point it isn't a good spot. That why I asked so now you go F--- yourself and your mirror brackets. I just liked it because I need the room.

Now for the ones actually trying to help what to do about the E-brake on a CJ when you go through the dash or down in front of it?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Keith Strong said:
Dynamic.......Do you have any pics of your cage without the seats installed? :beer:
Nope, didn't take pics before it was done. I have plenty more from different angles but all have the seats installed.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Now for the ones actually trying to help what to do about the E-brake on a CJ when you go through the dash or down in front of it?

Use a hand brake if yer foot brake is obstructed..... Grow some imagination for god sake!

With only a handfull of posts, you have no business bitching, we gave the answer to yer stupid newbie question! If yer pussy hurts so bad leave or toughen it up with a corn cob!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got your corn cob right here.:flipoff2: I understand your point about it being weak. Thank you that was the biggest part of the question maybe not worded that way but what I wanted to know. Don't want a hand brake the way I drive I need both hands on the wheel even when stopped. And my imagination is fine.

PS your number of posts doesn't make you a Genius.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Codeman96 said:
Got your corn cob right here.:flipoff2: I understand your point about it being weak. Thank you that was the biggest part of the question maybe not worded that way but what I wanted to know. Don't want a hand brake the way I drive I need both hands on the wheel even when stopped. And my imagination is fine.

PS your number of posts doesn't make you a Genius.

Seriously, WTF, are you like 6'10" or something.

Shit, I'm 6'5" and I have my cage running to the floor. For christ sake, fawkin do it right or fawkin leave! God damn, WTF is wrong with you? Seriously?

Give me a fawking break, leg room? If you want fawkin leg room, buy a fawkin car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Unless you plan to flop it only in the mall parking lot, tie it to the frame :rolleyes: and move the foot brake if you don't want a hand brake, or bend the tube a little.

This should be n00b forum

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh look another 200+ post genius .:rolleyes: No I'm not 6'10" I'm 6'4" and go about 325. And I want to do it right thats why I asked dammit!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts